• In the Spotlight:

Why would you need this product?

I'm not trying to pick on moms but why would you need this product?

It's called milkscreen. The product description says:

"On these special occasions that call for a little celebration, new moms can be sure baby is safe too. Milkscreen promotes healthy, safe, and continued breast feeding with their 2 min. at home test to detect alcohol levels in mom's breastmilk."

www.milkscreenmoms.com

Now maybe I just don't understand this product because I formula-feed and am a 1st time mom but I thought if you were breastfeeding you just were not allowed to drink any alcohol. Why would you drink and breastfeed at the same time? Again, I'm not trying to 'bash' or pick on breastfeeding moms I just don't understand the need for this product.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds better than pumping and dumping to me, which is what I'd do after drinking! Now if only they could make something that would tell you, "Hey, that burrito you just ate is going to turn your baby into a screaming banshee, don't give him this milk!" LOL.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:25 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• If you are breastfeeding you can pump your milk and stock up to allow for a night of drinking, and bottle feed your child the milk you have pumped.

Just because a mom is breastfeeding does not mean that she is not allowed to enjoy some simple adult luxuries.

There are a lot of moms concerned with "I drank last night is it OK to feed this morning" and things of that nature, and this product is made to ease their minds.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:35 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Lots of nursing moms enjoy an occasional drink. It's really not uncommon, or unsafe. And moms who are able to pump and store enough for a night on the town may have more than just one drink. I think it is a great product, actually, since it can sometimes be difficult to trust your own perception of whether or not you are completely sober.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 1:41 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Oh ok. Thanks! That makes sense.
    Anonymous

• lol.. good one Katie.. I got yelled out when I brought my milk to the nurses at the NICU.. WHAT RU EATING!!! I apparently was eating something that was giving her diarreah.. I could only pump for two weeks then stopped, I was so stressed emotionally I wasnt producing. :(
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 2:30 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• because we are human and a mom might want to have a beer one night to relax from the lack of sleep?
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 2:54 PM on Nov. 7, 2008