Just curious

Why do you argue religion? I just don't see the point. It isn't like you have concrete evidence to support your position.

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 5:40 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Religious Debate

• For the same reason you argue politics... Passion!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:41 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Why do you argue politics? It's not like you have concrete evidence either. It's all a matter of interpretation and personal opinion. Discussing or debating these personal interpretations and opinions allows growth. Not only within our own views but in the understanding of anothers.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:44 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Honestly, I don't think most arguments in this section are about religion. It's almost always about how we personally understand and relate to one another with so many different perspectives and beliefs.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 5:46 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Define 'argue'...

It is a complex, historical and philosophical field which is interesting to talk about. Agreeing on all the points, and certainly on all the possible meanings, is unlikely in any discussion.

The way people think, and what they think about religion --for many as a baseline 'reality' of their whole lives, and for others as an alien idea outside their own experience --is fascinating.

Lots of people can't stand the process of thinking about religion --it crosses taboos about not bringing intelligence to faith, about questioning authority, about betraying loyalty or unsettling those things that feel secure because they're held as 'settled' --which means, to me at least, they need to take responsibility for their own preferences and avoid the conversation.

Without suggesting that anyone else do so, ever.

As I've said in many contexts: if you're uncomfortable, shift your position. Your comfort is your job.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:47 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• It's how you learn. For example, there are plenty of Islamophobes in the world who automatically hate anyone and anything associated with Islam. When they are exposed to it more and actually learn more about it from multiple points of view instead of sitting there, fingers in their ears, yelling "LALALALA I'M NOT LISTENING", they begin to become better human beings. The same is true of all belief systems.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:56 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I do not argue but I will sometimes debate. Debating to me shows and open mind and I appreciate how others think/feel
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:05 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• LOL, Kristi--you said exactly what I was thinking.

Besides. . . what is religion but another form of politics?

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 6:18 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I've learned a tremendous amount about myself, as well as others and their beliefs by debating religion and beliefs. I find it helps me to continue to learn and be open to learning. I don't come here to simply say, "HEY you are WRONG, I am RIGHT. nannynannybooboo!" Thats not debating, thats acting like a child.
    I also find that it helps me to be the person I want to be in the face of aggression and hatred from others and to TRY to help them to see the other side of things.
    we all falter and get frustrated and lash out, but for the most part....it's the civil conversations that I enjoy the most!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:29 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I like talking about religion because you can learn new things that maybe you were misinformed about or just didn't know. It's something I am passionate about.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 6:45 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I never argue. I know what I believe and that's nothing. I don't argue with others about their religion. As long as you respect my beliefs I will respect yours.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:03 PM on Dec. 12, 2010