how long past the sell by date are eggs still good to eat

Can you still use eggs after the sell by date? If so, how long?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 1:48 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I asked my mom this question, and she said that eggs stay good for weeks after they go out of date.
    I just googled your question, and this is one response that came up. Hope it helps :D

"Absolutely, unless you're storing them in a hot location (sunny window, oven). A "sell by" date is not a "use by" date. Eggs, for example, can be used weeks later with proper storage. Older eggs give better results in many recipes. If you can smell, bad eggs are obvious as soon as you crack them. Age is not the only factor. When in doubt, crack eggs one at a time into a separate cup, dish, or bowl to check and then add them to your recipe."
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:49 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I do. If they still float. And I always break them into another bowl first
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I read on that same site that you can test them by putting them in a cup of water. If it floats, it's still good. I think the best thing to do would be to go by the smell. We all know the smell of rotten eggs xP
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:51 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Thanks! Thanks! Thanks! Hmmm, I guess I could have goggled it myself also now that you mention it. But thanks a whole bunch for your answer and for such a quick one too!
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 1:51 PM on Nov. 7, 2008