How to make oatmeal taste better?

Nursing mama with a reducing milk supply... needs to beef it up some and ive been told to eat oatmeal... the taste and texture just make me GAG! I even bought apple cinnamon hoping it would help well... no it hasnt. Any ideas?

Shonejrsmommy

Asked by Shonejrsmommy at 6:44 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Food & Drink

• butter and a splash of 1/2 & 1/2 and a few berries?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:45 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• put it in cookies

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:46 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I love maple syrup & brown sugar. YUMMM!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 6:47 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I eat the maple brown sugar
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 6:47 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I have thought about just getting oatmeal cookies and calling it a day because that is the only way ive ever been able to eat oatmeal.
    Shonejrsmommy

Comment by Shonejrsmommy (original poster) at 6:47 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• First of all, either regular oats or old-fashioned oats are much better in texture than instant, although they take a few minutes to cook. I like old-fashioned the best but they take the longest to cook (I think 10 minutes).Chopped apples and cinnamon would be a good addition. I like raisins or other dried fruit. Brown sugar, molasses or honey are tasty for sweetening than white sugar. I think you could add any combination of fruit, sweetening, spices that you like to get a combination you would find more palatable.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 6:49 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Those are good too!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 6:49 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• The instant kind tends to be pasty. Use the old fashioned oats, and don't overcook them. Flaky oats taste better. I like to add either wheat germ or flaxseed meal, to improve the texture and up the nutrients. Put whatever fruit, nuts, sweetening YOU like. Eggnog, walnuts and apple chunks go over well with my kids this time of year. But it really depends on your taste. Put what you like.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 6:49 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Are you buying instant or making it from rolled or quick oats? Quick oats taste way, way, WAY better than the instant junk. Add a dab of butter, some sugar and cinnoman. My kids love toast with oatmeal. The like to dip the toast in. Oh, my nephews put strawberry jam in theirs. I've never tried it..but what could it hurt, right.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:51 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I put butter in mine and add the non sweetner to it. I never add the milk though I just eat it with the butter and sugar. You could try cinnamon sugar in there also. The kids at school love that. Add some fruit to it.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:51 PM on Dec. 12, 2010