Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What kind of possibilities are there for a low income single mom to be able to go to school and get a degree?

Answer Question

Asked by beadsmama at 1:53 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • Go to the financial aid office and file a FAFSA. As a low income single mother, you should qualify for the Pell Grant, which you wouldn't have to pay back. You can also qualify for scholarships. Talk to a financial aid advisor.

    Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:55 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

  • Also there are lots of colleges that have on site daycares for students. Don't forget to also apply for TAP. Ask about it. There are plenty of opportunities out there. I hope you can do it!!!

    Answer by nightwillow at 2:00 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

  • Hi, my daughter did it but she had our support. She lives at home still and has a 5 y/o daughter that lives with us too. I work at home so I could watch my granddaughter while I am working. My daughter received her degree in 4 years cum laude. If you are determined you can do it, don't be afraid to ask for help. Some colleges also have daycare which can help.

    Answer by nanaevelyn at 2:04 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

  • You can also try online classes so that you don't have to worry about daycare. University of Phoenix has some great accelerated programs. You should be able to get a fully paid financial package.

    Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:26 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.