Does anyone else wish it was the 50's again?

Why are women expected to have to work, and take care of the kids, and house, and bills, and shopping, and appointments, and anything else that may come up? While the man is only expected to go to work? I know there are some men out there that help but I also know the majority (at least the ones that I know, and I know alot) don't. Why do we have to do it all? I have tried and tried as well as many others that I know to get their husband to help, it does nothing. We can either give up our husbands and be single or deal with doing it all. Does anyone else wish it was the 50's again? I mean before at least it was a choice to work, now we are forced to work and do everything else.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:26 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• I would love to be back in the 50's again. We could play outside until the street lights came on and we all had to go in and no one was worried about perverts harming us. The 50's was the best years ever, I knew of no one that was barefoot and pregnant, and it did take a village to bring up children and always was a mom that was willing to take a turn watching. Also, making snacks......and I passed that on in the 70's when I had my children.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 7:36 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• The single income is def a plus but they way women were treated is a diff story. So Id have to say no
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:29 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I kinda wish I was around then..... the morals and values and stuff.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:30 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Yeah, back in the 50s where it was perfectly fine for a man to beat his wife and kids if they back talked him or didn't do things he wanted. Where the man came home from an 8 hour shift and sat down with his feet up and his wife waited on him hand and foot after spending all day cleaning the house spotless and taking care of the kids, paying the bills, volunteering, doing the shopping, etc. The 50s weren't all that great. My dad was a kid in the 50s and both his parents worked full time. He was a latch-key kid when his parents couldn't find opposite shifts. His mother beat him with an electric cord when he misbehaved. My friend's grandmother was beaten every day by her husband and never once thought to leave because it was frowned upon.
    I'll take today's idiot men to ones that had a lot more power back then. I'm a SAHM to 5.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:37 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I never lived in the 50s but I enjoy being independent and not needing to rely on men. We have more freedom now then we did then.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:29 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Yeah sure. Barefoot and pregnant
    PASS

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:30 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• No. In the 50's a woman could have her own credit card. And there were certainly far less options for birth control. Many women still had to work and then come home and take care of everything. Men could just go to the corner for a cigarette and never come home. Nope, I'm happy in the current decade.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:31 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I was born in 1958, and I know those were awesome carefree days. I would love to live that comfortable lifestyle! Houses were cheap as well as cars. Kids had an imagination, and spent ALL day outside playing :)
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 7:34 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Girl that is what so many women fought against... it's called women's lib. I would not trade my option to work and have a full time career for anything. I did the kids thing, but I also worked full time, help supported my family, and took care of the house... Oh, and I was volunteer Firefighter and Paramedic along the way. I wouldn't trade it for anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:34 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• The 50's were conservative and technologically retarded compared to today, so no thank you.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:36 PM on Dec. 12, 2010