If you don't call this rationing, then what is it?

For all the times that President Obama promised "you'll get to keep your doctor" under his health-care reforms, he apparently failed to ask any practicing doctors.

A recent survey finds that countless MDs will respond to ObamaCare by limiting which patients they'll see.

The Physicians Foundation asked 2,400 doctors and American Medical Association members what they thought of the new law; a full 67 percent were against it.

More important, it asked how they'd cope with the new rules (which don't fully kick in until 2014). Sixty percent said they feel compelled to "close or significantly restrict their practices to certain categories of patients." And 59 percent said the "reform" would oblige them to spend less time with the patients they do have.

Of course, many doctors already limit how many patients they'll take on who depend on government insurance (whose fees rarely cover an MD's costs). But it'll get worse under ObamaCare: In the survey, some 87 percent said they would significantly restrict Medicare patients and 93 percent said they'd significantly restrict Medicaid patients.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/obamacare_flight_of_the_mds_2zWYU1R9DYG4K6dJ8oj8gP#ixzz17wnVlv8g

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 7:34 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• My answer from another question .....Sweets asked; "Are you comfortable knowing if , God forbid, your baby needed a transplant and your insurance denied it or you didn't have insurance that you would have no recourse and you baby would be left to die?"

"I am from IN. and I have the article right here in my hands. Seth Petreikis from Dyer IN. needed a thymus transplant or he was not expected to live past the age of two. This wonderful Government Health Care you are always spouting so highly about and are sooooo hell bent on, refused to pay for it. MDwise, a Medicaid managed Insurer out of Indianapolis stepped back in and said they would pay for it because they "found Seth's case compelling". So, maybe the question might be "Are you comfortable knowing if your baby needed a transplant and your "Obamacare" denied it that you would have no recourse and your baby would be left to die?"
    goodwitch399

Answer by goodwitch399 at 8:36 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Some of you are just pitiful. You don't have a cue what you are talking about and yet you feel justified in calling people greedy. I'm sure you have no clue of just how hard it is to go to college, Medical school and residency just to be Dr. It's not something they do because they think they will get rich. They have hundreds of thousands of dollars in school loans to pay and Dr's can pay tens of thousands of dollars a year for malpractice insurance depending on their field. If they are smart they can pay it off before they are 40.
    When it comes down to it the great majority of Dr.s do it because they want to help people. There comes a time when it's just not worth it anymore with the government continuing to sabotage their business practices with their own selfish agendas that always have unintended consequences.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:09 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• so Medicaid denied something, which makes insurance evil, but isn't medicaid government insurance...which is what certain individuals want available to EVERYONE!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:28 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Pretty sad that doctors will restrict the patients they see based on which insure provider they have- greedy, greedy if you ask me

You think doctors should willingly work for free? Do you not realize there is already a 6 month to a year backlog on reimbursements from Medicare and Medicaid? Doctors have to declare bankruptcy because they can't pay their employees and their office rent while they wait for payment from the government.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:40 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I know. It's gonna be a mess. I think everything's going to be a lot worse than most people expect or realize.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:42 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• It sucks but it's the bottom line that matters. If they can't make enough money to make a salary for themselves and pay for over head, nurses, front and back office workers and all of the associated costs of employing people then something will have to suffer. It sucks, but I totally understand it (the Dr.'s - not this clusterf*ck called Health Care Reform).

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:42 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• My doctor's office isn't taking any new Medicare pts and they are phasing out their Medicaid ones. They simply can't afford them anymore.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:59 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Dr's can pay tens of thousands of dollars a year for malpractice insurance

I worked for a pediatric Neurologist from 93-96. At that time he paid over $100,000 a year in malpractice insurance and had never had a claim. I can't imagine what he pays now. Want to know why I support tort reform? Decreasing doctors' expenses would bring costs down.

sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 9:40 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• IT IS!!!
    I do believe this is and will continue to unfold to be, the most unbelievable chaotic mess we have ever seen. i have talked to doctors about h/c, they are totally against it and will no longer accept medicare because of the medicare cuts.
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 12:45 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Just curious, how does your OB/GYN support this bill when it requires everyone to have insurance? Especially if he despises insurance companies?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:28 PM on Dec. 12, 2010