What are some of the issues that occur between new parents?

and how did you overcome?We are young expecting parents and I want to be sure our relationship stays strong!

amberfm

Asked by amberfm at 8:18 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• There will be less time of you and him alone, you will always be demanded by a new baby, and I suggest you give dad some sort of duty when it comes to the feedings and changing, so he to taste what it is like. You will feel that only you can take care of this baby, but have dad create a bond too, and last but not least, make room for a little love between the two of you ,  be creative, it feeds your soul.

Answer by older at 8:25 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Decipline (obviously not an issue right away), whether to co sleep or not, formula vs. breastfeeding, who wakes up with baby, diaper changing, bathing, etc etc etc.

Good luck.. it's hard if both parents don't parent in the same manner.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 8:25 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• You have to communicate. You have to work together. You will be exhausted and sleep deprived. If this is your first baby..sleep when that baby is asleep, especially for the first couple weeks. Realize that the house may be messier than usual. Sometimes babies cry and we can't figure out why. Sometimes lack of attention to our partner causes hurt feelings. If you are home all day and he is at work all day...it may be natural for you to want him to come home and give you some relief from the baby. He DOES need to help..but remember he's been working too. Remember your hormone levels will be wached out for several weeks after delivery. Expect you will start crying for no reason. Make sure your partner knows this too. Mostly, just try to relax and not worry about the "what ifs..." Kids don't come with a manual. We all had to learn or be taught. If parenting classes are available in your area they can be a great first step.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:25 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I will be breastfeeding....should I pump so he can feed as well or rotate?
    amberfm

Comment by amberfm (original poster) at 8:28 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Feeding does not equal bonding!! A lot of people connect the two but it's not the case. Yes, you will have a great bond with baby because you nurse. Daddy can have a great bond with baby because he cuddles baby after nursing or rocks baby to sleep. I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm attacking you because I'm not. Breastfeeding is for me an amazing feeling. I love the way my child looks at me while I nurse but you should see the way she is with her daddy. Talk about her eyes lighting up! (And he's not even her bio dad.)
    I wouldn't pump for at least the first 6 weeks. There's really no reason the pump unless you are going to work or will be away from baby for an extended period of time. Have you checked out the breastfeeding group here?
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 8:35 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I don't feel attacked at all! It's my first time so all insight is helpful.I won't be going back and would prefer not to pump.I'm sure he won't mind not doing nightly feedings since he works ten hour days :) I haven't checked the group out but I will right now!Thanks!
    amberfm

Comment by amberfm (original poster) at 8:39 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• so many, you will be sleep deprived, if he's working 10 hour days, neither one of you will feel like you are ever getting a break, when he's home try and do things for eachother so you at least get half a break. You will get to the point where you are so tired you cannot move when the baby cries at night, he's going to have to take a night on the weekends so you can get some sleep. Don't be afraid to leave hime with the baby, you'll need a break too..make sure that each of you are getting some alone time or just time to revive, whether it's going to the store alone or out with the girls. gl
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 10:14 PM on Dec. 12, 2010