Something just happened to me that may be realize that I am not prepare at all

I took my kids (3 , 1) to the play area at the mall. Everything was fine until we were getting ready to leave. I was putting on my son's jacket and my dd was at the door waiting for me. I turned around and she wasn't there anymore. I stop in cold, I didn't know what to do. I looked around to see all the kids to check if she went back to play(there were A LOT of kids there). In my mind, I though to go to the security desk but I didn't want to leave that area, I was looking at the doors near by, and it seem that the world stop as I was trying to find my daughter. It wasn't not even 5 min that she was gone and I just saw her walking towards me. I was so relief to see her but it made me realize that I am no ready for a tragedy.

What are you suppose to do when you child walks away from your sight?

bratgirln1

Asked by bratgirln1 at 8:20 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• That's why I always hold on to my kids hands!
    Anonymous

• i just start hollering their name, but i have a rule that they have to hold onto the stroller if i'm not able to hold their hand. but i know how that feels. i thought my son was lost and i was hollering for him......he was behind me. holding the stroller like he's supposed to lol. i just flipped out for a second. maybe make a rule like that to prevent something like that from happening again.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:31 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• @ Anon, how can you hold their hands when you have to help the little one put the jacket on??

@ princessbeth79, thanks, but she knows she always have to be by me holding me but she got interested in something that was by where we were. After she came, I told her that she can't be doing that, she has to wait for me at all times.
    bratgirln1

Comment by bratgirln1 (original poster) at 8:35 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Call out their name first.

Answer by louise2 at 8:36 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• When you are in a public place you have to keep your eyes on all your kids. Make them stay with you. It is hard to do some times. Kids can slip away in a second.

Answer by louise2 at 8:39 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Alert everyone around you so that everyone can assist and be aware of any suspicious activity. This sort of things make me feel that the leashes are important in crowded areas. It is just too hard to keep a hold of a little one and someone chould have them in a second. With a leash it is extra security.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:39 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• @louise2--Tell me about it, I learned my lesson.
    bratgirln1

Comment by bratgirln1 (original poster) at 8:40 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• That happened to me once at walmart, for what seemed an eternity I could not find DD. She was next to me one second, I turned around to hand the baby something, and she was GONE, for at least 2 minutes. I tried to stay calm, called out her name, but then my heart began to FREAK OUT. She then proceeds to pop out from a shelf, behind where they keep the toilet paper and stuff. OMG.

Even the most diligent parent can lose sight of their child. So scary. I'm glad you found her.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:13 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Start yelling her name. You'll also find that surrounding parents will recognize the situation and start looking around as well.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 10:55 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Thank you moms, I really freak out but it helped me realize that I have to be more aware when we are out specially now that the mall is FULL of people doing their Christmas shopping.
    bratgirln1

Comment by bratgirln1 (original poster) at 12:37 AM on Dec. 13, 2010