tree, decor and toddlers, oh my..

anyone know a good safe way to help prevent a trip to the er/mess in the livingroom? we were thinking of wait until the night before but id like to have the house decorated before then...i guess it comes down to which one i want more. but any ideas would be great!

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 8:32 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• buy shatter proof balls for the tree it helps and its safer
    millerchic

Answer by millerchic at 11:23 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• We smacked hands. They touched anything they got their hand smacked. It didn't take them long to learn to leave the tree alone. I had 3 toddlers/babies at once and we only lost like 3 ornaments a year (and I think my husband broke one of those). I also put the tree in the corner with furniture around it to prevent tipping and minimize what the kids could reach. Anything breakable was, and still is, put up high. The last 2 years we put the tree right in front of our front windows at my dad's house but the stand was wobbly so I used a rope to tie it to the windows (opened the windows, stuck the rope in and forced the windows closed on the rope, holding the tree in place). I have 5 kids and have never once had anyone get hurt because of Christmas decorations and have only had maybe 6 things broken in the 10 1/2 years I've had kids.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:36 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Yeah, I don't hit my kids so my advice is a little different. Place decorations a little higher up, like the garlands and wreaths and stockings and stuff. As for the tree, we have a little gate around it made off something called "storage cubes" that are 1 x 1 metal squares you can assemble into custom storage cubes, but we just zip tied them together to create a little gate around the tree. DD who is 3.5 still can reach, but she just likes to "redecorate" it she's old enough to not break things. It does keep our 10 month old at bay tho. And just like with anything else you wouldn't let your kids get into, firm and consistent redirecting and NO will eventually do the trick.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:23 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• This was my first christmas that my little one got to really enjoy helping me with the tree. She didn't have anything to do with it the year before she just didn't seem interested in it. She just turned 3 yesterday and I had the tree put up after thanksgiving. she helped my decorate it with putting the oraments on (although I went behind her and redid them since they were all bunched together).... I came home the next day to find that she ran off with most of them and stashed them in her storage space in the back of her tri-cycle.....all I could do was laugh I got a kick out of it.
    Lucky_Mommy02

Answer by Lucky_Mommy02 at 9:40 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• lol lucky mama, that's so cute!
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:44 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Definitely consistency. I have a 2 year old and he likes to mess with the ornaments from time to time. We've had the tree up for a week and he is already finding other things to be interested in. Once the "newness" of it wears off they will get bored with it - it is just another "thing" in the room like a chair or couch. At least that is how mine is. Be firm, consistent, and if you think a swat on the hand is ok then try that. Now if I could just get my TEN year old to leave things alone.....lol
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:15 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I agree with "justanotherjen"....Hand slapping will teach them to leave it alone!.....And, it does not have to be hard. In fact, just a light tap will suffice!....They learn from the consistency of it...not the light tap itself!.....

Good luck!
    gogogirl79

Answer by gogogirl79 at 1:11 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• With mine we did nothing down low on the tree that could be broken (yep we had some weird looking trees over the last 8 years lol) anything that could be broke decoration wise I put up high or just didn't get out. I have actually accumulated a lot of non breakable items over the years to set out now lol
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 6:59 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I put my tree inside of the play pen after it had fallen on my son three times. OY..
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:06 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• My 14 month old daughter loves taking the ornaments off the tree. When she does though, I just tell her "No, put it back." And she walks back over to the tree, sticks her arm as far into in the branches as she can, and cradles the ornament somewhere inside the branches. She's such a goof!
    Gemska

Answer by Gemska at 1:36 PM on Dec. 13, 2010