"Your Baby Can Read" Any thoughts from those who tried it?

My dh and I are avid readers and want our LO to get a head start. What are ya'lls thoughts or experience?

tnunley

Asked by tnunley at 8:34 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• If a product sounds too good to be true, then it is. This program does not teach your kids to read, it teaches your kids to remember the word visually in association with what it means. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does nothing in way of teaching PHONICS, which is the most important for real reading.

Your best bet is to read to your child every day, give her lots of books to play with, and when she is old enough, begin teaching letters, sounds, etc. My dd LOVES books and we just fostered that from babyhood by giving her lots of opportunities to handle books and be read to.

I mean, learning to read by watching TV? Sounds kinda backwards, doesn't it?
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:07 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Dont push something on your child too fast they memorize words but they dont understand concepts, they learn from play,let them be children and stop trying to get them to grow up too fast you will burn them out before they get started
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 8:53 PM on Dec. 13, 2010