How can I pump a lot more than I already am!?

I only supply what and when my son drinks. Unfortunately if i need to go out and leave him with someone I cant pump any more than like 2 ounces. How can I change this? I would actually like to make a lot more so I can give my daughter breast milk everyday. My daughter is only 2 and i think my milk can still benefit her as well. Please get back to me with some helpful advise mommas! Thank you!

JanetElizabeth

Asked by JanetElizabeth at 8:36 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• not everybody gets along good with the pump. i was never successful in pumping more than 2oz. either. but i know that i was obviously producing since i was ebf. i just eventually gave up....i tried everything. but if it makes you feel better how much you pump has nothing to do with how much you're producing.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:39 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Do you use an electric pump? Try varying the speed. Faster will give you the let-down and slower will pull more milk out. So when you see the flow start slowing down, turn the speed up to try to trigger the let-down again.
    Vix920

Answer by Vix920 at 9:10 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• well 2 oz per breast is normal output, but you could try pumping more often and for longer. also your baby needs 1 oz for every hr you are gone.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:46 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• 2oz is completely normal output. Even if you were producing twice what your child needed, you may only be able to pump 2 oz per session.

I used to pump for 2-3 days in a row to get enough for a night out when my son was younger. Sometimes it's just what you do!

You can *try* pumping regularly and for 10-15 minutes after the last drop. Pump the opposite breast your baby is nursing from first thing in the morning and for 15 minutes after milk stops coming. Don't expect 6oz or anything... but you might be able to get 3-4oz eventually.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 9:50 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I agree w/ PPS 2 oz is really pretty good. If you want to increase supply, then increase demand. Pumping first thing in the am will yield your highest output of the day. Try nursing one side while pumping the other, every time you nurse. The baby may nurse more frequently for the first couple of days untill your supply adjusts to this new demand.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 10:27 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• try pumping every two hours during the day, for a few days that should up your milk. I have a 3 month old and when i pump i get anywher from 5 to 8oz. most of the time i have to pump in the morning, if i sleep on my belly they get so full when i wake up the baby cant even come close to drinking it all. she likes to use me as a paci a lot so im pretty sure that turned me into a walking cow lol. there are some downsides to making a lot of milk, im always leaking and have to wear pads all the time, my shirts are always getting soaked, i take my pump where ever i go its like a second diaper bag, clogged ducks are more pron with increasing your milk. i get really sore to from all that pumping and feeding also. But i do give it to my two year old too in her sippy cup, becasue i think its better for her. i love breastfeeding so much so its deff worth it! i love watching her grow and knowing its all from me. GL
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 4:14 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Two ounces is EXCELLENT output! But drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group and check out the Resources sticky at the top of the group forum. You'll find a link to a post titled HOW TO INCREASE SUPPLY... with EVERY trick known to woman.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:03 PM on Dec. 13, 2010