Tips on Quitting

I've sm0ked for four years (bad I know)!I am having the hardest time stopping!Help!!!Please no bashing!I really would like to quit.I've severely cut back (from a pack a day to a couple a day).

amberfm

Asked by amberfm at 8:52 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• For your baby's sake, you should just stop cold turkey. You are only smoking a couple a day so it shouldn't be as hard as going from 3 packs a day to nothing. Do it for your unborn baby. You CAN do it.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 8:54 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Honestly... I just stopped. I had a hard time quitting when I got pregnant this time around. It took me until I was 5 weeks. But I had SEVERELY cut down. I went from a pack a day, to maybe 5 a day.  From there it just took will power...  and morning sickness helped lol.

Mandiii04

Answer by Mandiii04 at 8:54 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Carrie--- it is actually better and less stressful on the baby to cut back quickly, than to quit cold turkey.
    Mandiii04

Answer by Mandiii04 at 8:55 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I just stopped, but it was long before pregnancy was even a thought. I didn't smoke a pack a day, more like a social thing when I went out. But I just did the mind over matter aspect and thought of how gross it was and literally made myself sick each time I took a hit off of one. Good luck, and drink more water!! Clean your system out.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:55 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I quit while I was pregnant with my first son. What helped me most was every time I lit a cigarette I would imagine the smoke going to my baby and the baby having to breath that in! It took me three days to quit and I never went back!
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 9:00 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• My son quit using those funky smokeless cigarrettes
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:14 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I am bad and still smoke like 1 or 2 a day. While it's not the best idea, it is better than doing nothing about it. Try and replace smoking with something else. Distract yourself.
    Suz_and_Ash

Answer by Suz_and_Ash at 9:17 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• i feel your frustration...i am goind through the same thing-i am 4 months and i smoked a pack and a half a day before getting pregnant and have cut down to 5 or less a day. it is NOT easy, especially when pregnancy brings along alot of stress too. my doc said quitting smoking is actually compared to quitting heroin-its that addictive. and even though she wants me to quit altogether she, too, said it is less stressful on mother and baby to drastically cut down and wean yourself off. i have gained a bit more weight than normal because ive been eating at times when i would have a cigarette-but i'd rather pack on more pounds than smoke alot more! good luck-i'll be praying for you-we WILL be able to stop altogether someday very soon!
    dez1379

Answer by dez1379 at 11:21 PM on Dec. 12, 2010