How do you get your dog to listen and respect you?

I have a 2 year old puggle and I can't get him to listen to me. He'll knock me over to run up the stairs, but he walks behind my husband. If I feed him he'll knock the bowl out of my hands, but if my DH feed him, he sits and waits till he says ok. No matter how much I yell, or what I do, he doesn't listen. He takes food out of my sons hands, knocks over the trash and chewed up the lock on it. I'm at my whits end, and I need help.

LuvMybebe

Asked by LuvMybebe at 2:15 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Pets

• take him for walks...he'll respect you and listen to you....don't just give him love and attention..descipline comes from excercise first..i have a puggle too and he listens to me more than my husband because i mainly take him for walks
    nora17

Answer by nora17 at 2:20 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• You can give him love and attention but walk him first and get him tired out, don't show him love when he is excited, because love and attention is a reward just like treats. If he is excited, you are rewarding the excited mind, not the calm mind. You want him to act calm when you feed him or go up the stairs or if you want to hug him. Right now you love him atthe wrong times and scream at him, and he thinks he is the boss over you. YOU have to be calm and show him kindly that you are the boss, you are in control and he can trust you to take care of things, he doesn't have to anymore.
    Anonymous

• your the pack leader, be dominant and dont treat them like a baby.
    lots of good exercise
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 3:12 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Before this month I walked him for over an hour every morning and it didn't make a difference. I watch the "Dog Whisperer" and I keep trying all his tips. I don't baby him what so ever.
    LuvMybebe

Answer by LuvMybebe at 3:30 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• watch it's me or the dog instead and when he goes to do something say in a loud strong voice a noise with your mouth. he will get the idea. my dogs do. also i think this might help also when you go to feed him pretend that you are eating out of his bowl first then you ask him to wait. the pack leader always eats first. make sure that you feed him for awhile rather then your husband. he has no respect for you what so ever but he won't bite the hand that feeds him if you eat first that is.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:38 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• 2 words! Cesar Milan-Dog whisperer!
    Monnek

Answer by Monnek at 3:48 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• i had a rescue dog that was barely 7 months but she just got worse and worse even after trying everything from the dog whisperer! We ended up giving her back to SPCA because I got pregnant and she would violently snap at me if I came to close to her and her food! She would actually attack! So we didn't want her around the baby, ofcourse! She needed to be an outside dog and we only had an apartment! Some dogs just can't be helped but if it's a matter of misbehaving and not violence, I would've kept trying!
    Monnek

Answer by Monnek at 3:51 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Also, maybe the way you yell he can tell you frustarated-not a sign of a leader. calm and assertive (yah, repetitiveness) but that may help?
    Monnek

Answer by Monnek at 5:33 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I don't yell at him a lot because I don't yell in front of my son.
    LuvMybebe

Answer by LuvMybebe at 5:35 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• There can only be one pack leader...your husband is it...sorry. But, your husband can show the dog that he ranks last. Make him wait until everybody else eats before you feed him...do not allow him on the furniture when everybody else is home...basically, make him last for everything. He will get the idea that everybody outranks him and he should settle down. Also, and I know this will sound weird...but when my dog was a puppy I would hold the kids in my lap and growl at her to let her know that she had better not mess with my pups...try this with your husband...let him hold each of you and growl at the dog to put him in his place. Good luck! (BTW, I have an English Bulldog...very stubborn breed!)
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 7:14 PM on Nov. 7, 2008