new york steak question

seared it on the stove top, how long to bake in oven til medium?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 9:21 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• You should not bake it. That will dry it out. Broil it. Depends on how close to broiler and strength of heat from boriler. Usually about 3 minutes each side. Keep a close watch.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:25 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I would do it on the stove...not in the oven. Put some sliced onions, mushrooms, and bell peppers in it with my coffee sauce or italian dressing.
    BrknWingAngel

Answer by BrknWingAngel at 9:33 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I would never put any kind of steak in the oven for it tends to dry it out. My sister does it and she puts it in there for 10-15 minutes on 350 for medium. But it is still to dry for me to eat.
    BrknWingAngel

Answer by BrknWingAngel at 9:25 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I dont know how to start the bbq, I have to do it on the stove or in the oven
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 9:26 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I would broil it as well which is done in the oven.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:32 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• okay i now have it on the stove with some onions and garlic, its at 100 degrees... hope i didn't ruin it
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 9:45 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• As a retired chef, my advice for a home cook, is sear it over high heat on top of the stove. Then put in a pre-heated 375 oven for about 5-8 minutes. The searing will keep in the juices. Check for donness, then cook more if needed. This works better than broiling in a home oven.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:40 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I'm a retired chef and culinary instructor. We tried several methods in class, and the best was: Searing on top of the stove, then in the preheated oven for 5-8 minutes. Turns out great every time. Just putting it in the oven, without searing it first will dry it out, as will broiling in a home oven.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:42 AM on Dec. 13, 2010