Teeth Grinding

My seven-month-old has three teeth, and he grinds them constantly. Not only is it like nails on a chalkboard to hear, but it really can't be good for his little teeth! Any advice on how to make him stop? Seven months is too young for mouth guard.

CarriePM

Asked by CarriePM at 9:24 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Most likely he is going to grow out of it. My son started grinding his teeth around one yr. and did it for a few years after that. He's 9 now and no longer does it but if you are concerned I would talk to your pediatrician. My guess is that they will tell you to wait and see since he is far too small for a mouth gaurd or anything like that. BUT if he is still doing it around age 3 they will probably have you see a pediatric dentist.
    ditchen4

Answer by ditchen4 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I have no clue how to stop it. My 3 year old started grinding his teeth at about 10 months and has yet to stop. He can wake me up from across the house! We asked the dentist about it and he said there was nothing we could do. Even at 3 a mouthguard is not an option.
    If you find out what works let me know.
    army_wife_06

Answer by army_wife_06 at 9:32 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Usually something is bothering them if they are grinding their teeth. I'd just try and find out what.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 9:33 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I'd ask him, but he can't talk yet!
    CarriePM

Comment by CarriePM (original poster) at 9:36 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• lol yeah I know! That's what's hard. Maybe just look at his daily routine or if anything has changed maybe someone new in his life.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 1:03 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• 2Murphy, you think it is emotional grinding? The only thing new in his life that I can think of are the teeth themselves.
    CarriePM

Comment by CarriePM (original poster) at 5:05 AM on Dec. 13, 2010