Is this ok for a 4 year old ?????

DH and I are HUGE movie fans...that said we allow our dd to watch things that other parents may not allow their children to watch. My dh and i truly believe that it is our job to teach our child right from wrong and real from pretend so a movie should not affect her unless we are not doing OUR job. We don't allow her to watch anything that has bad language or graphic sex or violence but, she doesn't always have to watch cartoons either. DD saw a preview for The Pirates OF the Caribbean (the first one) and would really like to watch it. I haven't seen it in a long time so i don't remember it well...I don't think there is any language or sex but, I can't remember how graphic the is. Knowing the standards in OUR home do you think she can watch it ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I meant how graphic the violence is....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:45 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• If you have these rules and are sticking by them, why are you asking us? That's your call. I would think you'd say No though.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:47 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I don't recall any graphic violence, as in blood and gore. My family is just like yours, our daughters have been able to watch things others may not find suitable, but we know what our daughters can handle, and what they cannot.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:48 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• you could try her on it and tell her when they start fighting in scenes that it was fake and no-one was hurt at all, me and my dh are very like you not wanting to let them watch anything thats got bad language or sex or violence but if she did watch something with a bit of language or violence we would tell her that she does not say or do things like that cos its not real
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 9:48 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• My son had no problem with it at that age. I think the worst part is the undead pirate skeletons fighting. It's been a little while since I saw it though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:48 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• The only thing I see you might having an issue with, would be the skeletons. They are kind of scary. I'm pretty sure the language isn't too bad and if I remember correctly there isn't any sex scenes either.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:50 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• If you have these rules and are sticking by them, why are you asking us? That's your call. I would think you'd say No though

I was asking because i couldn't remember how graphic the violence is...I am ok with mild violence but, I wouldn't let her watch something like saving private ryan and i figurered someone on here may have watched it recently enough that they would remember.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:52 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• The people turning into mummies MIGHT be too much for her. I know my daughter at age 4 was just starting to develop her imagination at that age so we had to keep track of what she saw in order to make sure there were no nightmares. But like the others say, it's your call.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 10:00 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• my 4 year old watches it.. i don't see anything wrong with it..
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 10:24 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I wouldnt let my kid watch it, some parts are scary. But I dont believe kids that young are fully CAPABLE of knowing the difference between fantasy and reality in live action movies, no matter how good the training. But if you feel otherwise, let her see it.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 10:53 PM on Dec. 12, 2010