How would you react ?

I had a call from my sons teacher friday. She said that he had been so disruptive that day that she had annointed his desk with oil. No, this is not a christian school. I dont know what the purpose of annointing is. To ward evil or bless or what ? Can anyone tell me and do you think this was appropiate ?

megamamaw

Asked by megamamaw at 9:52 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Uh, that is so inappropriate on so many levels. What if YOU were not of the Christian faith? Can you imagine what damage she would have done to a child that did not hold her same beliefs? I have worked with many teachers and sometimes you have to step up and let them AND the principal know when something disturbing happens. It is doing her no favors NOR any of the other students to keep this under wraps. She was completely wrong.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:19 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• It is "seen as a spiritual mode of ridding persons and things of dangerous influences, as of demons " but no, not appropriate.
    KitKatCadillac

Answer by KitKatCadillac at 9:58 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Ya know, to each his own, but what are you going to do with she calls in the Priest for an exorcist??

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:02 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Not sure what it is for, I would tell her you appreciate her gesture (?) but you would appreciate it if she did not annoint your son or his belongings with anything.

tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 9:55 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Is this for real?

If so, no it is not appropriate and it's very strange. I'm Baptist so we don't do annointing but I do think I would find this strange and would possibly be talking to the teacher and principle.
    Anonymous

• I would ask her why first, it could be that she thought it would remind him to behave by having his hands slipping all the time?
    I honestly don't know what it could be. I'm a Christian and the only time we annoint anything is if someone asks for the annointing prayer for a loved one and then we just pray.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 9:58 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• i would have that very annoying what kind of school does that, im sorry but kids will be kids they will be disruptive at times you just have to tell them to stop or put them in time out the teacher is wrong
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 9:59 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Thanks everyone, will be calling the principal as soon as school is open again
    megamamaw

Comment by megamamaw (original poster) at 10:03 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• It sounds like she was meaning to bless his desk to make calm him....the only thing that crosses my mind is that she thought he was do disruptive that he needed a prayer and blessing to calm him down...You could always request a meeting with her to ask and get more perspective on her side....if it makes you that uncomertable ask her not to do it again or take it to the principle. I don't think it is appropriate but I don't think she ment any harm by it either...kind of a touchy subject depending on how u feel about it. We have had our daugher act out so bad it scared us seriously and we blessed her with holly water and prayed over her we just didn't know what else to do. I honestly think its just the terrible two thing but goodness. Hope this helps. ; )
    Lucky_Mommy02

Answer by Lucky_Mommy02 at 10:03 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Anointing is used Biblically as a blessing (healing, protection, etc.), but some people misuse the practice as a means of "warding off evil." Either way it was totally inappropriate since the teacher did not have your permission to do so.

asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 10:07 PM on Dec. 12, 2010