Confession

I ate a turkey sandwich today. I couldn't resist. I've been so good about no lunch meat or only eating it if it was heated but my husband was making a turkey sandwich and I HAD to have one! lol Tell me we're going to be ok, please. (I'm 19 1/2 weeks)

EwansMommy

Asked by EwansMommy at 9:52 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Haha yes you are fine. I had the same issue with hot dogs while I was pregnant. I just HAD to have one, and my son was born perfectly healthy. How did all of us survive when mother's basically had no restrictions while pregnant! Haha. The issue some doctors are having with lunch meat and those things are the nitrates. 1 turkey sandwich isn't going to do anything...if you ate one every day for 9 months though, then maybe.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:54 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• What, is that the new thing now, no lunch meat while pregnant? I ate it when I was pregnant and all three of my girls turned out just fine.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:54 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Lol. You'll be fine. I snuck it a couple of times too.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:54 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• you will be fine when i was pregnant with my girl all i could eat was ham sandwiches and i mean the ham you get in packets to put in sandwiches and she is 15months now so yes you will be fine eating meat like that is fine
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 9:55 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Well, I heard the same thing you did about lunch meat and I must say that I ate it through all 3 pregnancies and my kids didn't suffer any ill effects. If mine didn't suffer I'm sure yours won't either with just one.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 9:55 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I know there are some things that can happen when you eat lunch meat, although I think you should be okay.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:55 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• You should be fine. I ate lunch meat sandwiches through both of my pregnancies without heating them up and both of my kids were fine. It's not really a necessity just a precaution for bacteria, but you should be fine.

jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 9:55 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• um... why wouldn't you be? I mean don't eat it daily for breakfast lunch and dinner but it's really not that serious.
    Anonymous

• Thanks for the reassurance. I know it's unlikely that I'll get listeria from one turkey sandwich but I just needed a little comforting. =)
    EwansMommy

Comment by EwansMommy (original poster) at 9:56 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• PS - I ate an awful lot of hard salami (thin sliced, straight from the deli) with our son but there were no warnings about lunch meat back then. It's funny how much changes in just a few years.
    EwansMommy

Comment by EwansMommy (original poster) at 9:58 PM on Dec. 12, 2010