Pharmacy Question

I'm on a medication I take for anxiety and I was wondering how this worked. I have two refills left on my current prescription. I saw my Dr last week and he said he would be out of town for several months. He wrote a prescription for three additional refills. I just dropped it off at the pharmacy (same day he wrote it and it is a controlled substance). Will they add it on to the current prescription or wait until my old prescription runs out, or should I have just held on to the paper prescription until it was time for my new refills?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Health

• I drop my new prescriptions off right when I get them all the time. They just keep them on file until I call them to tell them to fill them. It is NOT the same script, so you can't call it in as a refill.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:03 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• depends on the pharmacy. The ones we have around here would just add it to your current refills and then let it take effect after your current refills run out.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 10:03 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Mine will just add it to my current refills. My doctor's now fax all prescriptions to the pharmacy of my choice.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:09 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• i wait until im on no refills then go to the doctor cos truth is you could see another doctor and they could do another prescription
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 10:12 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• They keep the prescription on file at my pharmacy. Controlled substances cannot be refilled until I believe the last week of your current one.
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 10:19 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I worked for a pain clinic and a controlled substance will only be refilled as needed and not given out all at once. Its against the law.
    ditchen4

Answer by ditchen4 at 10:21 PM on Dec. 12, 2010