What do you tell a 7 year old when Grandma dies?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 10:57 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I guess it would depend on how she died. If she was sick then I would say "Grandma got very sick and Jesus took her to Heaven, so she wouldn't be in pain anymore.".
    DevinAnnesmom

Answer by DevinAnnesmom at 10:59 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• i would tell them that grandma has gone away and cant come back but she is always watching over you from above she is in heaven or say that she is now a star at night that shines bright to your child, im really sorry and its a hard thing to say
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 10:59 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Read the book "Freddie the Leaf"
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 3:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• My son is 7yrs old and my Grandpa passed away. We went to his house all the time so he knew him well, but I just sat him down and told him that Grandpa had gotten sick and passed away and went to heaven. He took it pretty well and even went to calling hours. When he seen my Grandpa's body, he said he just looked like he was sleeping.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 3:27 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Simply say Grandma died today...tell as soon as it happens..and take them to the viewing and funeral. The child has the right to say goodbye to his/her Grandmother...when you get up to the coffin please do not tell your child that Grandma is sleeping...for some reason a lot of parents feel the need to tell their children this particular lie and then the children wonder why Grandma or Grandpa won't wake up.
    Joyzap2003

Answer by Joyzap2003 at 4:02 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Just explain it to the child and let them know they will see their grandma again at the resurrection. Their are some great books you can get from the library that can help with a simple story. One in particular was written by Maria Schriber but I cant remember the name.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 8:46 PM on Dec. 13, 2010