why do you believe in the bible? what makes this book believable then other religions?

i used to go to church faithfully but now i cant seem to go cause i really dont know why i believe in the bible. how do we know it really is a book inspired by God? i want to know God is real not just because some book says it. yes i know you have to have faith but faith can only go so far. i cant worship someone until i know they really are real.

babycakes111

Asked by babycakes111 at 2:25 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because it is true...there are places that show proof like Israel for example!
    businesswife1

Answer by businesswife1 at 2:32 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I grew up in a non-religious household and started reading the Bible when I was 12. I ended up studying it for years because I had some very strong spiritual pull and some experiences that were very powerful. I kept looking for the fulfillment promised. However, for the most part I found that the stories in the OT were the same I was learning reading Greek mythology, so I enjoy that as some history, some Christian mythology. I loved the teachings about Jesus - and my sister and I memorized the entire score of Jesus Christ Superstar. I found many of the ideas to be suited to the times they were addressing and need a religion that continues to grow like the rest of life. I don't think God is Zeus (OT). I don't think God is Jesus. I don't think God is a man, period. I have a strong faith in a God that speaks to me. I will be happy to elaborate if you like, but your path is your own.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:32 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I disagree with your "faith can only go so far". Without faith you'll never fully believe. God himself can't be physically proven but you can see the effects of God everywhere. I look around at creation and just know he's real because to think it all evolved is just foolish to me. It's too huge, to elegant, to powerful to just happen by chance. I see God in people, their lives a true reflection of their Savior. I see God in my own life ~ because I know that without him I'd be nothing. God is real because I can feel his presence, hear his still small voice, act upon his direction. Faith is all I need.

As for the Bible, as you read it's words you can clearly see how many of it's prophecies have been fulfilled. Some of it's events have been recorded in normal history books. For me, knowing that makes it very believable. It's one of few books to have survived for so long.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 2:32 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I don't. The bible was written by someone, and it has been adapted to fit the needs of whoever was doing the adapting. I'd no sooner follow what is written in the bible than Dianetics!
    Anonymous

• cause i prayed about and get that warm feeling that it's true but i feel that way when i pray for the book of mormon too. you won't ever see god yourself unless your destined for something that he needs you to do. so faith is all you have. faith in prayer can make you see him just as if he were there. i fact sometimes the answer you get is so powerful you can't deny it. if your feeling doubtful then find a church that restores your faith and just continue to pray. the lord answers prayers when he sees fit so it may be awhile before you get your answer but if you pray with faith and sincere heart you will get your answer.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:35 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• One of the things that is harmful to children psychologically and can hurt them throughout their lifetime is to teach them that what they experience is not reality and to believe in things that go against what they experience... they later have problems discerning personalities and good choices and trusting themselves. There is much historical fact in the Bible for sure and some beautiful ideas. If you read things in the Bible that are not true for you, if you experience the spiritual or "God" (I define as being what connects all of life) as different than described, then have faith in the God of your understanding and appreciate the Bible for where it does speak to you, like any other book. Just my opinion...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:36 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Unfortunately, I can't help you there...

I haven't been Christian for a long time...

I have never believed in the Bible as the literal word of God...its a book, written by men inspired by their version of their god--no different from any other holy book, except in the arrogance of the diety in question.

Religion is and always has been a matter of faith, feeling and belief--there is no proof without promulgating a logical fallacy.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 2:49 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Take a look at all the miraculous things around you? Do you REALLY believe this is all here because of evolution?! There's only one reason for it all...

God is mysterious. He can do whatever he wants, and if he told some men to write the "books" in the bible, then I believe it. What harm can believing in God do? Absolutely none! I don't know why so many people fear it.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:04 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• If you really want to know if God(the true and living God)is real, just ask Him. He will not withhold Himself from a person who is seeking to know Him earnestly.
    marlarrie

Answer by marlarrie at 3:28 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Faith is not in a book! The bible says one thing " Do NO Harm." That is the basis for almost every religion on earth. It really doesn't matter how many storys are in that book about how not to harm and how to do good... There is no PHYSICAL prrof that GOD inspired it. If you ask me Revelations was just a bad trip. You won't find any more physical proof for this religion than you will any others. Gods are beyond human understanding so no matter who, if any, of the gods you put your faith in, it's just that. Your FAITH that they exist... You have to find the "proof" in your own heart and life no one else can ever hand you proof...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:01 PM on Nov. 7, 2008