Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

my heater is not working properly, called my land lord but they havent fixed it yet what should i do?

Its been more than a month, & I'm a couple od days to having my baby. Plus its super cold & scared my baby willl get sick? its hard to find another place so I feel like I'm left with no choice, some one please help.

Answer Question

Asked by nora_flores at 11:04 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Home & Garden

Level 4 (49 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • I would contact a lawyer. I'm pretty sure in winter, there is a law about things like this. Worst case scenario, I would get it fixed myself and then send my landlord the bill. However, see what legal action you can take. I'm sorry! Good luck.

    Answer by Ash9724 at 11:05 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • Call your local housing authority. It is illegal to rent a house out that is unlivable. No heat in winter is one of the things that is covered under the law.
    just google your city and housing authority.

    Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:07 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • Short term wrap your baby up warmly or co-sleep. Being cold doesn't make you sick, though long term it does require more energy to stay warm which can leave you run down and more susceptible to getting sick. Get a space heater to keep the chill off as well.

    As for the heater, call the landlord again, and again, and again until you get results. Send a letter and if they still won't/don't come contact the local residential tenancies board - or whatever it's called in your area. Or next time you call say that if they don't come in 'X' number of days that you will be contacting repair persons yourself and have them bill the landlords or will be reducing your rent to reflect paying for the repairs yourself. You may need to check that it's legal before you actually do it, but the threat alone may be enough to get them out there. Good luck

    Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:11 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • First, i would go to the office and explain the situation to them. Tell them that your getting ready to deliver and you need a warm place to bring your baby home too. Maybe something happened and they lost the "work order" or something. Try to first confront them and if they still refuse, i would first, buy a heater at say, Walmart. They don't cost much, and at least you will have a warm place for baby to come home too. If they still refuse to fix it, i would do what Ash9724 suggests, and contact a lawyer or you can submit a complaint with the BBB....they will mediate for you, on your behalf!

    Good luck, and CONGRATS on baby!

    Answer by gogogirl79 at 11:12 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • I'd nag them every day until it's fixed. If not, I'd tell them I'll find my own repair person and pay for it and deduct it from the rent.

    Answer by admckenzie at 11:19 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • Call the gas company and tell them that something is wrong with your furnace, you think. Let them know that you are pregnant and have a small child in the house. If you have a gas leak, most of the time, if it's the oven, they'll let you use the eyes of the stove. If they turned off the gas because of the furnace, ask them if they can give you, hot water only, until it gets fixed. Then call your lanlord and let them know that they left a notice, about what needs to be fixed. Tell them that you are going to buy a heater and deduct it out of the rent, or, get a hotel room and deduct it out of the rent money. Keep the receipt. If they try to take you to court, you have to have these notices and receipts. Also, tell them that you were told to contact DFS and the STATE social services, because it is illegal to have a child in such extreme cold, due to his negligence. Make sure that your rent is current. Call the TV news stations.

    Answer by msE2u at 11:23 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • Tell them you will call the local news or call the newspaper and tell them what's going on if they don't fix it. Give them a time limit. Also, check your lease and see what it says. Otherwise, call a lawyer.

    Answer by amessageofhope at 1:02 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

  • A heater is one of the things that they legally have to keep in working condition.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:08 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.