Ever had a constant bad taste in your mouth due to pregnancy?

I've had this really bad taste in my mouth for the last few days and nothing I do makes it go away. It's really gross and I never had that with my other 2 kids but have heard it can be caused by pregnancy. Anyone else had this?

natandelismom

Asked by natandelismom at 2:25 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It could be that ur getting acid reflux because of the pregnancy and that always leaves a bad taste.
    Anonymous

• from my prego book bc i just read this last night :)

Some women complain of a bad taste in their mouths during pregnancy. This is called Dysgeusia and is a common condition. Its caused by the hormones of pregnancy which can alter or eliminate taste. Some women experience a metallic or bitter taste, or lose taste for certain foods. The good news is this condition usually disappears during the second trimester. If you have dysgeusia try some of the following techniques

-If sweets are too sweet add a bit of salt to help reduce the sweetness.
    -Add lemon to water or suck on citrus drops
    -Marinate fish, chicken or meat in soy sauce or citrus juice.
    -Try plasticware; stainless steel utensils may increase a metallic taste.
    -Brush your teeth often. Gargle baking soda and water which may help neutralize pHlevels.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 2:37 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• thank you so much- it's not all in my head!
    natandelismom

Answer by natandelismom at 3:51 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I have this same problem, last night I kept drinking juice trying to get this awful taste out of my mouth but it didn't work, I didn't know it was pregnancy related.I guess you learn something new everday!Oh and brushing my teeth is all that helps me, I found that eating or drinking something else to try and cover the taste didn't work.
    Sarah0306

Answer by Sarah0306 at 3:53 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I had this really bad for about 3-4 months but now it's gone. It made me sick all the time, it's horrible
    gerti

Answer by gerti at 4:22 PM on Nov. 7, 2008