Could someone define "unnecessary birth trauma"?

I saw this in the answer to another question and I have no clue what it means. Thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• sounds like just another word some high and mighty would use to put down a mother that didn't give birth the way she thinks everyone should give birth.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 10:29 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Well, personally I think it's mostly crap! But I looked it up to see exactly what qualifies and this is what I found...

"Routine labor procedures such as inducing labor, pain medications, and restrictive maternal positions lead to further complications and the resultant use of forceful pulling and operative devices such as forceps, vacuum extractions and c-sections.

Standard obstetric management includes grasping the infants head during birth usually accompanied by some degree of pulling and rotation. Further intervention including the application of obstetric devises creates an environment where an even more serious injury is bound to happen."

So in other wards, just about anything that happens during the birthing process that the mother decides she didn't like can be listed here...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:17 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Trauma that is caused by intervention that wasn't neccissary and/or could've been avoided during labor and delivery. Forceps, suction, induction, and other methods of that nature. Things that aren't emergency use, but are used as a form of hurrying up the process unnaturally. Forms that can cause trauma to the baby and the mother, especially if used improperly.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:20 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• That was my answer!
    I think of it as medical intervention that is unnecessary that can cause trauma to mom or baby. Whether that is physical trauma (like an episiotomy or c-section) or emotional trauma (like having no control over your birth experience, excessive fear or manipulation or separation of mom and baby after birth).
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 12:18 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I dunno, for me I see induction as a blessing, not Trauma... Hell, I see natural labor & delivery as "Trauma!" I've been induced twice, will be three times as of Friday... I'm not sure how pain free delivery - like I've had - can be trauma and hours of painful contractions isn't...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:16 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• The only thing that comes to mind is forceps or the suction thingy... but I am not sure.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:13 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I have no idea what the means. All I can think of is maybe an unnecessary c-section or medical intervention that caused the mother or baby some kind of trauma during birth? Haha I don't know.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:14 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Yeah, it didn't make much sense to me either

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:17 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• i wish i knew, all i know first pregnancy at the end was very dramatic and scary on dh n my family
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 11:17 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• what if the induction or c-section was medically necessary?? Does it still fall under this heading??

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:19 AM on Dec. 13, 2010