How does your family do presents/stockings on Christmas morning?

In my family growing up, and now with my DH and DS, we all hide our respective gifts until Christmas morning.
The stockings are hung as decoration until Santa fills them with edibles and little presents...and we start Christmas morning by opening those up first.

There is NOTHING under the tree until Christmas morning (or night before, after kids asleep) when we wake up to find the presents there,from family and Santa.

What do you do?

boomamma

Asked by boomamma at 11:29 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Holidays

• We don't even do Christmas anymore. Everyone seems to go buy their own presents and no need to open them.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:30 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Growing up even after finding out about "santa" we always opened presents on Christmas day. There were never any presents put under the tree before Christmas day. Even now my hubby and me wait until Christmas eve to put presents under the tree and we open them on Christmas morning.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 11:35 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• The kids wake up before us... of course, we are trying to recover from the trauma of getting ready for Christmas morning, LMAO! They sneak out to the living room and I always hear them, so I tell the to get the stockings and we all pile into dh and I's bed to open stockings.
    Then a while later we all get up and go to the living room and open presents. I turn on the oven and stick in the quiche before we open anything and breakfast is ready as soon as we are done.

Around 11 am we head over to my mom's house and open gifts there, then have a nice lunch with my family. Around 3pm we leave my mom's and go to dh's parents house were we open gifts again and have a nice dinner.
    Around 9pm we schlep home and collapse in our beds.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:36 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Yeah, we don't have any presents under the tree until Christmas Eve night, after the kids are in bed.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:37 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• My parents used to start putting stuff under the tree as they bought it which was dumb because me and my brother got really good at opening and rewrapping them, lol. On Christmas morning we could get up and play with anything in our stockings or that was unwrapped. My parents always left stuff unwrapped so we would be entertained and they could sleep in a bit (I learned to make coffee at 9 so I could more easily wake them up). We don't normally put gifts under the tree until Christmas Eve and those are to be opened after dinner on Christmas Eve (this year they are getting footie pajamas). Then everything else goes under there after the kids are in bed. In the morning they open anything in their stocking first. I'm usually up at the same time as them because they make so much noise.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:55 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I have presents under the tree pretty much as soon as the tree gets put up! I like seeng them and it looks so empty without them!

Santa gifts go out on Christmas Eve -always unwrapped so the kids have something to check out while we get coffee ;)
    we open gifts I try to drag it out a little...letting people open sort of in turns so we can all see what we get!
    Stockings are last

I make a huge pan of lasagna and something for desert- cheesecake or something...
    depending on hubby's mood we watch some sort of christmas movie...and munch on cookies and whatnot
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:59 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Stockings act as an appetizer and the rest of our presents are the main course!
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 12:07 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• We (DH, Kids, and I) go to my MIL's house for Christmas morning. We usually bring our stockings and gifts for one another with us and open them there. As well as open the gifts that the family (MIL, BIL, [soon to be] SIL, SSIL, and SBIL) have gotten us. When we get there we are allowed to 'open' the stockings first. Spilling out treats and little presents until we wait for everyone to arrive and wake up. Then when everyone is in the living room my FIL hands out the gifts one by one in random order.

However, this year I want to start creating our own traditions as a family. We will still be going over to my MIL's house, but the presents/stockings that DH and I buy for one another and the kids will stay here. My parents come up Christmas evening, so I want to open all the gifts together with them. In a way it's two Christmas' in one day.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:17 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• we do stocking on christmas eve and 1 pair of pjs ( to wear x-mas morning ) .... and then on christmas morning my parents and grandparents and my brother come over then we wake the kids...........
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 12:21 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Because we have soooo many stops to make on Christmas we have 2 different "stockings" one at my mom's side on Christmas eve and one at our home on Christmas morning. When I was young it was the same way. We were always told that grandma was friends with Santa and he had come to visit with her before going on his way to other houses and would have already stuffed our stockings before we got there. It just so happened that we always "missed" him. It's now the same way with our children.
    jillrebecca3

Answer by jillrebecca3 at 2:54 AM on Dec. 13, 2010