cat and a newborn?

anyone have any advice on how to prepare a VERY attached cat for a newborn coming? my cat is my absolute best friend, we are always together and he is extremely affectionate and always next to me or on top of me. i dont want him to think i love him less when i bring my baby home or that i am punishing him-anyone gone through this and have any advice?

dez1379

Asked by dez1379 at 11:36 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Pets

• You're just going to have to set boundaries with the kitty. Ours were total lap hogs, and they just got used to it with time (although anytime they saw an available lap, they were right on it!). They will get used to the baby with time. Just be patient and gentle about it. Let him sniff and inspect him/her when you get home, before you even remove the baby from the car seat. As long as your kitty has a gentle nature, I wouldn't worry too much about swipes or bites, yet, but of course, never leave the kitty alone with the baby, and if the cat likes to get into the crib, you may have to buy one of those tent things. Make sure the cat can't curl up on top of the baby. They don't do it to hurt the baby, they do it to snuggle, so you'll have to watch. Good luck, and congratulations! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:39 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• i would do what other people do when they have a toddler and a new baby... give your cat time alone so he/she still gets time with you,
    and for situations like if youre on the couch sitting with baby, and your cat wants to sit with you too, i would let it have part of your lap like maybe it can sit right up next to you or across one leg or something.
    it'll work out fine, you'll cross each bridge when you get there...
    and i bet your cat will be loving towards your baby and understand. i mean, im one of those people that beleves cats are really understanding/protective/sensitive creatures. i mean, they KNOW when youre sad.......so...
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:42 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• thanks guys-those comments helped! people think im crazy when i bring it up that im worried about a CAT-but he IS my first baby! as far as him getting into the crib-he's 28 pounds (seriously) so i dont think he could make the jump, thankfully-lol
    dez1379

Comment by dez1379 (original poster) at 12:04 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Cats are very adaptable but you must continue to give him lots of attention and talk to him too. I never had anyy trouble with my cats when our children were babies .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:28 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• my cat is very attached to me as well. but, do not let the cat around the newborn ,but still allow the cat in the house but on account of cat dander do not leave the newborn near the cats area with you.
    christinahilton

Answer by christinahilton at 2:32 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• With my first baby, I brought in a blanket for the cats to sniff first, before bringing my daughter in the house, this did help with some of the initial curiosity. My cat who has been mine for a long time became protective of the baby too. Hopefully that is what will happen with you as well.
    Kilhara

Answer by Kilhara at 2:56 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• We never had any trouble with our cats around our newborns. Actually, when babies are brought up in homes with pets they are less likely to have allergies. Just watch out for claws, and bites. But, if you let the cat meet the baby, and don't run him off, then he shouldn't get mad. He should be more accepting. Kinda like a toddler, like a pp said. Let the cat cuddle with the baby, just not up around the face. The fur up the nose won't help with breathing. But cuddling wouldn't be bad. I think it will be fine. Just don't leave them alone for a few weeks, that's all.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 5:58 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Cats are normally fine with babies. The baby doesn't move around too much. If the cat starts hissing, then you should set up boundaries.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 7:14 PM on Dec. 14, 2010