Help! My son HATES other children.

We had a bad playdate a few weeks ago, suddenly my son wanted the other boy to leave. I take him to The Little Gym everyweek for socialization. We've been going for 10 weeks and he still isn't interested in being "with the class." Today, I think he might have been hit (maybe accidentally- I didn't see what happened) by another kid. Suddenly he started crying and wouldn't go back in to the gym area. One of the other kids - a boy, seemed to be very concerned and was watching us through the glass. I think he may have been the culprit. Now my kid won't even look at other children. How the heck am I supposed to get his social skills developed now??? Any suggestions? We paid over $300.00 for this class and now he never wants to go. I'm sure next week he won't even step foot inside the building - but I'm going to try. We have about 10 weeks left to go and I don't want a refund, I want my kid to be social.

sharebearII

Asked by sharebearII at 2:27 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Aw, jeez man. I know how ya feel. My oldest son - a social butterfly. The little one - the little turtle hiding under his shell.
    I don't have too much advise for ya...I know for me, it's just a matter of letting him take his own time to warm up to things. I know deep down that he will eventually. Maybe you should skip his next class and go to the one after that??? Let him calm down a little bit from the incident.
    I think that with Tyler, he gets VERY overwhelmed when there are lots of kids/people around. He does just fine with one or two.(after giving him a few minutes to get used to the situation)
    Are there maybe a couple of kids in the class that he gets along with? Maybe just find them when you go and have your son be playing in more of a smaller group, rather than a bigger class.
    melskidsrgreat

Answer by melskidsrgreat at 5:35 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Some kids just don't like to be social. Even between my brothers and I we were different levels of social. If he doesn't want to be there, then don't force him. Talk to them about if you can get a refund on your money due to the situation. Don't forget that he is not you, and that he will do and act as he wants to.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 10:07 AM on Nov. 8, 2008