Do you think Down Voting is childish?

I have to ask this, because I see people down voting on answers I think are legitimately good answers. I see where many might not agree with the same answer, but honestly I have seen up to seven down votes on one question. I don't mind if my answer gets down voted, because I'm entitled to my own opinion.

tracylyn245

Asked by tracylyn245 at 11:54 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in About CafeMom

• Often times, yes. I've voted down misinformation or very rude answers, but never something I've disagreed with, opinion-wise, or anything like that. The one time I accidentally clicked down instead of yes, I apologized to the person on the question, and voted up one of their answers on another question!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:56 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• No, not at all. Disagreement is a part of life... How would it be "childish" to disagree? That doesn't even make sense!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:56 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• No. It's a way of people disagreeing. Whether it's because they believe that person is wrong, is rude, or shouldn't have answered at all. It's the only way outside of calling them out in a seperate post/answer for them to disagree. It might not be liked by all, but in what other way can they disagree? Again, without calling them out in a seperate post/answer. It's not supposed to be used as a negative aspect in the way of bashing another person. It's just a simple and quiet way of dissagreeing with what that person wrote. Even if it was lagitimate and a good answer, it just wasn't a greed upon.

I can say though, that I do think there are some women and maybe some trolls on this site who take advantage of it. Who use those apsects of CM to cause trouble. Overall though I think it's properly used.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:58 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• At times yes. I have never downvoted anyone, but a lot of the ones I do see downvoted I question why because they seemed like decent answers. I can see someone downvoting for rude answers, but not for answers they may not agree with.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 11:59 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I think the reasons people down vote can be childish, like as others have noted, down voting simply because you disagree. However, I think it can be done appropriately when you down vote answers that are rude or do not answer the question.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:29 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I don't think it's right either. But I wouldn't don't think it's childish. I just think people do it to be doing it. What I mean is the whole point of answering these questions is just an opinion. But to vote someone down just because they don't like the answer you put on this site? Maybe there should be a penalty for voting down.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:32 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Yes and no. They were never intended to be used the way they are, and originally CM insisted they would not be used that way, but within weeks, it was obvious that's what they are primarily going to be used for, so they stripped away the penalties for receiving them (unless you're anon) which was essentially a free pass to make it even worse. I do think it would help if DV's were not anonymous, and I personally would have no problem with people I give them to seeing I've done so. It would probably cut down on the trollish ones where it's obvious someone is following around people they don't like and DV'ing anything they say in any question. As it is, you can still figure out who is handing them out - when every answer in a question gets an up or down vote all at the same time, except for one answer, by the person who is listed as handing out all the up votes, it's obvious where the DV's came from.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:45 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Sometimes, yes. When its just to be petty, merely because someone doesn't like the person answering, or otherwise goes against the intent of the voting system. I only downvote when the poster is being rude or is personally attacking someone, or if the information is completely incorrect or biased/prejudice - especially when its giving advice that may be harmful to others.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:46 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• No, I don't think it's childish. I vote down inaccurate answers, rude answers and the like. I think your real question is "is it misused?".
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:23 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I very rarely vote down. Only on a rare occasion when the person is very mean or hurtful
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:39 AM on Dec. 13, 2010