what do you think about the prosperity teaching?

i went to a pentecostal church and it seems that they talked more about this then salvation. ironically most in the church were not well off. i believe it pushed my family and me away from God since none of what they were teaching seemed to happen. i mean come on, give $50.00 and you'll expect a check in the mail!! i believe god wants you to prosper but you dont have to give money constantly for that to happen.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• God will bless you when you seek his will and his face. God gives you the desires of your heart when you live for him, focus on him. Why? Because when you strive to follow His perfect will your will and desires begin to line up with God's. To say that God will just throw money at you is, in my opinion, such a false teaching. God meets our needs according to his riches. Being rich isn't a need, it's a want. Blessings come but they most often aren't the blessings we want or expect. They are the blessings God wants for you. The love of money is the root of all evil ~ when we focus on money and prosperity we lose sight of God.

Asking for money with the promise of getting money is just plain wrong. It makes peoples motives dirty and God doesn't bless wrong motives.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 2:37 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• actually... for many, many years I have experienced that if I have just a small amount of money, if I take that money and spend it without regret, either on something that makes me feel good or to help someone else, I will receive the money I need. I don't know why or how, but it's happened so often, that I don't question it, I just accept it. I did not learn that in a church or a Bible. So I guess in a way if what they're saying is that giving freely of your resources and having faith that you will receive multiplied blessings, I would agree. If you cannot give without doubt or regret, then don't. I do not belong to a faith that is all Bible based and is far from Pentecostal, but I think there is truth to that as well as truth to your hesitation. Honor the truth that speaks to you loudest.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:43 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I agree with lifeofchaois - God does want us to prosper. Sadly there has been abuse in prosperity teaching. God wants to bless His people not just when we get to heaven but now. If He doesn't bless us and we walk around in poverty how can we do His work or send others to do His work. How can we send out missionaries, reach our communities (example - my church had a free outreach on 10/31 and 10,000 people showed up and as my pastor says... budweiser wasn't paying for it), to help those in need by feeding them or giving food baskets at christmas, thanksgiving etc... it all costs money and that money has to come from somewhere.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 2:47 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• cont. I believe we should give and it should be with a joyful heart and for the right motives. God promises to meet our needs. He also gives us the desires of our heart (when they line up with His will). We also have to seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, then all of these things will be added unto you.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 2:48 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• i pay my tithe and fast offering in my church & since i'm part of building his temples & churches the blessing is two fold. i mean it's great that i have a temple to go to & a church that is open for me to attend. also the lord always seems to bless us with the money we need to get by. even though i put out the 10% of income. i don't believe in what you described. i think that is not quite the same as paying the tithe. i have a strong testimony of tithe cause i have seen the blessings in it. also i believe that since i have done so that we got this house when on paper we didn't really qualify for it.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:58 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• my hubby only made 21k last yr & i only made 12k. fair credit & i had no income when we closed on the home. risky to buy a house with so little income yes but since i have faith i prayed asking his will be done & the finance came through. i know it was the faith of paying my tithe and prayer that got us this house. 100% faith in tithe.
    melody77

• When you give back to the church (or community or whatever you give to) God will bless you. It may not be a monetary blessing, but a blessing none-the-less.

2 cor 9: 6-8
    malachi 3: 10-12
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:09 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• be careful. some church's are hypocritical money organizations
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 3:25 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• ditto lifeofchaois and bonn. my pastor says that we as a church are "blessed to be a blessing". thats saying that God has blessed us (spirit, body, mind, and finances) and he did this so that we could use that to bless other people. not just to horde the goods, but to share, and help others out. but sadly, it has become a trap for some who dont get (whether its because they are blind to the truth, or because they are ripping people off on purpose) the truth of the prosperity teaching.
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 5:57 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• this is what I think of the "prosperity" doctrine currently being preached in many churches and all televangelists
    2 Tim 4:3,4 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
    4) And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
    luvmybabieskna

Answer by luvmybabieskna at 9:49 PM on Nov. 7, 2008