beta fish question... worried beta fish parents (my boys)

we just got a beta fish after just over a weeks worth of studying them , so needless to say we thought we knew quite a bit of facts.... enough so that we felt safe in purchasing him and all the things necessary for him. well it's been just over 24 hours and the thermometer in the tank say it's perfectly warm enough for him. it is said that it's not necessary to have an air filter but to help him live to his fullest potential that it's suggested so he's got one and it's working properly. My question to all of you is.... is it normal for him to be floating to the top of the tank almost all day? he's not dead LOL because when i touch him he freaks and swims to the bottom and stays for a few mins behind his lil kingdom of plants and rocks,,, then he'll swim back up and be almost perfectly still again scaring the crap out of two very now nerves boys. yes he's doing the lil bubble thing but not often. it's almost like hes sleeping but i know that can't be right LOL especially all day. did we do something wrong or is this normal? thank you in advance

pinkrayn

Asked by pinkrayn at 11:56 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• Normal! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:58 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I think it's normal. If you go to a pet store and see all the Beta's in those plastic cups they're usually floating at the top. However, the last beta I had did this for a few days before he died...but he was almost 2 years old lol. I think it's normal though.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:00 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Gotta love fish! I would say normal, those fish aren't very active any way
    tracylyn245

Answer by tracylyn245 at 12:00 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• It's normal they're kind of lazy anyway. But maybe the air pump is bothering him. Try a day or two without it.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 12:01 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• My step son and i have a beta fish Sushi, he will float all day at the top of his tank and at night when hes really tires he burrys himself in his rocks.
    Tiffanyyyyleee

Answer by Tiffanyyyyleee at 12:02 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Completely normal. I have had a few betas and they have all done that. At first it scared me then we got used to it. At times they will also sit at the bottom of the tank for prolonged periods which is also normal. Ours does both. That's just how they are. Nothing to worry about :)
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 12:05 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• i'm sorry all we just worried because we got him from a local store and not some big name place like petco or petsmart, so i worried they gave me an old geezer or something LOL.... they told us they got their betas three days before and i know according to all the sites we read up on that in pet stores they are all about 6 months old when they get them.

thank you so very much you all have eased my mine craploads :-)
    pinkrayn

Comment by pinkrayn (original poster) at 12:08 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• yeaa i get my betas from walmart!!! just crownkingtail male beta women beta arent very pretty or colorful :[ weird i think!
    Tiffanyyyyleee

Answer by Tiffanyyyyleee at 12:23 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Yeah, they aren't real active fish. Ours always lived for about five years, but didn't do a whole heck of a lot with that time!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:21 AM on Dec. 13, 2010