Any tips on getting my two year old to sleep through the night?

She is still waking up up to three times a night and I do not know why. HELP!!! I need sleep, as does she.

mommy.etc.

Asked by mommy.etc. at 12:23 AM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well I would just leave her in her bed till she fell back asleep my ds sleeps all night if I have musice on for him.
    EliasMommyDec09

Answer by EliasMommyDec09 at 12:24 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• no naps during the day! or maybe a small 30 min one. My 1 year old has slept through the night since about 10 months because I dont do any naps anymore! and because I refused to give him a bottle in the middle if the night and he just got used to it. now if he wakes up he adjusts himself and goes back to sleep! a little benadryl never hurt either.
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 12:26 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I don't recommend meds unless absolutely necessary...that being said - does she use a pacifier? I have a 2 year old who still does and he wakes up sometimes and can't find it. Then he won't go back to sleep unless I go and get him. But it was becoming a pattern so I would find the paci for him, tuck him back in, and sit for a few minutes until he went back to sleep. It took a couple of nights and I decreased the time I sat there. Now he is back to sleeping all night again - with an occasional night of course. Ask me in a couple of months when he won't have the paci anymore and we'll see how that is going! lol Try not to talk to her - keep things low-key. Does she share a room? If not then just make her stay in her room til she falls back asleep - it might take some time but eventually it will be worth it.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:44 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• She doesn't take a paci and I will not do the meds thing unless she is sick. We share a room, so I know that it couldn't be her waking up alone.
    mommy.etc.

Comment by mommy.etc. (original poster) at 12:47 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• my dd does it sometime it was getting really bad for awhile. most of the time it was because she was thirsty or needed changed. i send her to bed with milk and if she wakes up i give her water. sometimes they just need a hug and some cuddles. try keeping it very low key dont turn on the lights, of shes crying rub her back or hair. you could pick her up and cuddle a little but i would talk too much. my dd would get up and scream for hours sometimes and make such a fuss. i couldnt keep her in bed with me becasue of our new born and sure the heck wasnt going out to play at 4am. i would put a movie on for her and just let her in bed to watch it. there for awhile she was watching 3 or 4 movies in the middle of the night she would yell when one was over so id have to find another one, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. mommies have to sleep too! could she be teething? that will keep them up and down all night. good luck
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 4:44 AM on Dec. 13, 2010