Should women who do not receive Prenatal care go to jail?

I say YES 100%! It makes me sick to see the helpless sick babies, when they could have been healthy, but mommy smoke or drank and never kept her appt's.....I just saw a show about this and it infuriates me!

tracylyn245

Asked by tracylyn245 at 12:25 AM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Some people will choose not to have medical interference in their lives, pregnant or not. That is their choice. Women, as it has been proven for thousands of years, can have babies just fine without seeing a doctor to do it. Similarly, prenatal vitamins are a recent development, and some people can't take them without becoming ill. That is a personal choice, babies can be just fine without the mothers having taken extra vitamins during pregnancy.
    Should women drink, smoke, or do drugs while pregnant? No. Anyone who KNOWS they are pregnant and is still doing those things, I would say yes, they should be jailed and fined for criminal negligence and child abuse. Just because the baby isn't born yet doesn't give women the right to knowingly endanger their health and life.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 4:24 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• What if they don't have insurance? A lot of people are out of jobs right now....
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 12:34 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• A little extreme maybe?
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 12:26 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Of course not. It's unfortunate that some women are not concerned about their unborn children, but I definitely don't want law enforcement controlling pregnant women's lives. That sounds like a terribly slippery slope.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:39 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Um, wow. Seems a little ridiculous, don't you think? You DO know that just because people may not go see a surgeon OBGYN doesn't automatically mean they are smoking and drinking. You DO know that for thousands of years, pregnant women didn't go to a surgeon OBGYN. You DO know that a woman can see a surgeon OBGYN and do many things wrong in her pregnancy and a woman who takes control of her pregnancy with education can have a healthier baby. Yes....let's fill up prisons with pregnant women who likely have other children at home who will wonder where their mother is. Real smart plan.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 1:06 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• And also, there was NOTHING my previous surgeons OBGYNs ever did for me that was helpful besides give me an order for an u/s so I could find out the sex. And I could do that at any private u/s establishment. I couldn't even take prenatals so I was buying Flintstones from the store....again....what was it I was paying them for?

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 1:12 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Whatever your opinion is, its unconstitutional so I'm gonna say no.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 12:26 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• i'm gonna say no too. if they were going to smoke and drink, the would do it with or without going to the doctor. OB/GYNs are not miracle workers.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 12:33 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• People, without insurance may not be able to get the care that they need. But if they smoke, do drugs, drink alcohol and knowing that they are pregnant, that's not an excuse. There are a few people that don't even realize they are pregnant. Have you seen that show on TLC? As soon as these mothers find out they are expecting, they should stop immediately and allow the baby to have a better outcome.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:39 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Sorry I miss read the question. I honestly do not have an answer for this question.
    MarvelousMama

Answer by MarvelousMama at 12:46 AM on Dec. 13, 2010