What is the best way to kick the bottle?

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 12:47 AM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• with my DD i just took it and she did fine she was off by 9mts but my son..he was hard headed lol i had to get soft top sippies and the slowly trick him into using the hard top ones and he is almost 2 and i just had a baby a month ago and will grab his bottle wanting it......some kids are eaiser than other just be patient momma good luck!
    Mommmy_To_3

Answer by Mommmy_To_3 at 12:54 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Well first go to meetings and find a good support......OH WAIT! You meant for the baby!!

Ok - seriously - start by reducing how many bottles they get. Keep the morning one and the night one - those should be the last ones to go. But during the day switch from bottle to sippy cups. Replace one bottle at a time with the cups and if he/she is responding well, do that every couple of days or even a week at a time - whatever is working for you. All of my kids were off their bottles by 12-14 months with the exception of my youngest - and he only got the night time bottle til he was about 17 months or so - and that was purely ME! I knew he was the last so I drug it out! lol He still has a cup of milk before bed but never really missed the bottle
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:55 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• well my SIL and brother just moved out of the house and they have a 7 month old and now there are no bottles here but his. He is down to about 1 or 2 a day.
    Alysia_Moore

Comment by Alysia_Moore (original poster) at 12:56 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I seriously thought u meant...."The bottle"...as in Alcoholics?.....Ha ha!.....

Sorry..just had to comment...Thought it was cute!

I would definitely go with mama2000 1's advice!....Good luck!
    gogogirl79

Answer by gogogirl79 at 1:01 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• i would have to say just trash them.... and start giving them sippy's.... i took my sons when he was 10 months but then he wasn't attached to it either which made it even easier for me.... but good luck and just hold strong.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 1:10 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• most of my kids where 3 or4yrs old
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 1:16 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• he is in LOVE with his baba. he has separation issues
    Alysia_Moore

Comment by Alysia_Moore (original poster) at 1:18 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• The absolute BEST (easiest) time to do it is all at once AFTER they are very familiar with the sippy cup at between ages 10-11 mos. They are VERY much "out of sight out of mind" oriented and they have no memory of it. If you wait longer, esp after 1 yr - you might as well try and get them to give up their legs and arms. The bottle at this point has become an extremity to them and you will have withdrawal symptoms......BAAAAD!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 3:50 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Mamma 2000's idea is a good plan that I've seen with my friends children, but if your anything like me who tends to feel guilty and give in then I have to say just chuck it all at once. Those first few day's will be pure hell, but I found it was easiest to just get it done. My daughter didn't even need the sippy cup, she just went straight to a "big girl" cup. I originally tried Mamma 2000's method but honestly it wouldn't work because I would always feel so guilty, so it was easiest on my daughter and myself to just get rid of them all at once.

Hope4Teal

Answer by Hope4Teal at 4:09 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• The best thing you can do for him is to toss it and stick to your guns. He won't allow himself to get dehydrated. You can also take him to the store with you to pick out his new big boy cup. And the first couple times you give it to him have something extra special in there. (I only mean for about the first day).
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 4:15 AM on Dec. 13, 2010