How much does using applesauce instead of oil in a recipe

change the final outcome of whatever you're baking? I'm going to make muffins in the morning. I got the recipe from allrecipes.com and someone (a review on there) suggested healthier alternatives (whole wheat flour, etc.) which I had no problem changing, but I'm hesitant about using applesauce instead of the regular oil. What has your experience been with this substitution?

Also, dumb I know, but if you do this you are supposed to use UNsweetened applesauce right?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Food & Drink

• They will be moister and softer. Yumm. Applesauce can be a great alternative. But yes use some with no added sugar.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:01 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• You use the same amount of applesauce as oil. It's a great sub. If you are going to do whole wheat flour instead of white, which I highly recommend, Do a step down method...start with half whole wheat and half white and see where it leads you.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:07 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• My best muffin recipe uses applesauce instead of oil! The muffins are super moist and people rave about them - I totally don't deserve the praise because they are so easy to make.

Give it a try, I think you'll be happy w/ the results!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:18 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• same amount
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 5:46 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• In muffins it tastes good to use applesauce instead. Using WW flour instead of white will make a bigger flavor/texture difference than using applesauce for oil. Try making them both ways to see what you prefer.
    Anonymous

• Too dense and heavy for me
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 6:21 AM on Dec. 14, 2010