How long did it take you to potty train your little one and how did you do it?

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 1:04 AM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i'm still trying... but i heard it only takes a week as long as your consistant.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 1:05 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• A week. My son potty trained himself. My method? I let him decide and take control.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:11 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• My son was about 4 and a half before he was fully potty trained. He's also a high functioning autistic so that made it a little harder. I would let him run around naked with a potty chair in the living room and bathroom and would remind him when he had accidents. My daughter started when she was 20 months old and picked it up very quickly. My son pretty much imitated her and within 2 months they were both potty trained. My daughter (30 months) still sleeps with a diaper but is completely potty trained during the day. I made sure to give them both huge praise after they went and still do so they know what they did is good.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 1:11 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• With my first it took forever. I mean at least a year or more. I started too early when he wasn't ready.

For the second child he completely potty trained himself at 2years 7 months. I woke up one morning to the sound of someone peeing in the toilet, I told my oldest to shut the door when going to the bathroom, my little one yelled. "It's not Jack... it is MArk!" He never peed his pants again. And pooped in the toilet from then on too.

The youngest was about 2years5months when he insisted he was ready. It took about a month of constant work and he has not had more than a couple of accidents.

I have learned if you wait until they are ready, they will do most of the work themselves. If you push too early, they will push back and it becomes a power struggle. One that the child will win!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:12 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• john was the first to train at 2yr i just ask dad has big underpants want some in one day he was trained
    josh 2 weeks before he stared school at 5yrs old no shit
    jeff it took 16yrs before he found out he had to pee in toilet lol i did every thing
    nina was 4yrs old she could pee in toilet but that bm movement she did out side by the chicken coop lol
    nick was 1yrs old yes some one who broke the mole yep
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 1:14 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• with my oldest, I tried to train her when "I" thought she was ready, that was a nightmare!!! We were mostly successful but she reverted. I finally decided I'd wait until SHE was ready to be BIG. When it was her idea, it was a cinch!!
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 1:23 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• she was trained right after her 2nd birthday..she was born the end of april..i started training her in july...it took 3 days..potty training is all about being consistant..i potty trained her during the summer..i let her walk around in a tanktop and just some special panties that i allowed her to pick out by herself from the store..and i told her she wasnt allowed to get strawberry shortcake all wet...and i took her to the bathroom every 30 minutes..if she peed she got a m&m..if she pooped she got 2..lots of praise lots of high fives.

alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:28 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• It took about a month and I waited until she was 3....I wanted her potty trained before she started school. I just put her in panties and kept reminding her to go to the potty. We had plenty of accidents but we stuck through it and it worked. Now if I could just get her to potty train at night.....

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 1:31 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• took me 6 days but only had accidents on the first day. she wore her dora undies around. I planned on letting her pee in them the first couple days to let her realize what happens with no diaper on and just undies. she only peed in them one day and did one poop in them. I took her every 30-45 mins to go on the potty and if she went i got extra excited and rewarded her with a mini lolipop. did that for 3 days and on the 3rd day she wasnt even expecting a lolipop but more excited about her dora sticker chart. She was 27 months when potty training finally happened, I also left books in the bathroom for her to read and pictures of her as a baby to keep her on the potty longer
    falanlee

Answer by falanlee at 5:15 PM on Dec. 13, 2010