Do you look down on mothers if they smoke?

I am a smoker and everywhere I go I feel people judging me for it! its not like I smoke in my car or in my house. I am not holding my son when I do it or anything but I went to the store and he was in the cart and I was leaving and lit one up as we walked to the car. It was not going anywhere near him but I felt people staring at me like I was a bad mother or something!! If your a smoker, Do you feel judged for it? If not, do you look down on mothers who smoke?

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 1:15 AM on Dec. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Oh, I also smoked when I was pregnant. BUT, I cut down from a PACK-AND-A-HALF a day to only FIVE CIGARETTES a day. That's HUGE. My parents quit smoking in their 30s and they're better for it. I'll quit when I'm ready to quit and not a moment sooner. Say what you want; you are not the judge of me and my decisions. Like I said in my previous post, my daughter is as healthy as a horse without ANY problems. Those of you who judge us smoking moms can suck it.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:20 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I quit smoking for a couple months and just started again a few weeks ago. I have never looked down on someone who smoked because I know first hand how hard it is to quit and stay that way. On occasion I have felt people look down on me for smoking, but honestly I could care less because they obviously don't know how hard it is to stop. Even if they do, it is harder for some people to quit than others. You can't just stop! There is a lot more to it than that and I wish some people understood that. I just ignore it now and let people think whatever they are going to because no matter what you would say anyway it wouldn't change their mind.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 1:22 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I don't look down on Mothers who smoke. I think as long as your not smoking around you child it is ok. I can't stand the Moms that have a cigarette hanging out of their mouth and a kid on their hip......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Nope sure don't. I only look down at them if they smoke in their house or in the car.
    Night_walker

Answer by Night_walker at 1:19 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I don't look down on them but I do feel bad for the child. The only way I look down on it is if you know your pregnant and still smoke or if you do smoke in your car or house. So many issues go with it it's ridiculous. I have asthma and guess why? Yep my dad smoked. I was in the hospital 8 times in one year because of it. My dad did smoke outside. Unfortunately smoke permeates your cloths so your family still breaths it in when you come inside. And your kids cloths have a chance of still smelling, meaning when your kids are school age and they go there's a chance for them to get teased.

Can I ask why you smoke? I know it's a personal choice but we all know that smoking can kill not only you but those around.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 1:23 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• heck no!! why should u?

noone should judge, as well all have diffrent views/ideas .. that's what makes us individuals
    -jo-

Answer by -jo- at 1:37 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• No. However, if a mom smokes when they are pregnant and/or around their kid, that's a different story. If I still smoked (proud quitter for nearly 5 years!), I would NEVER smoke around my Son and I would have quit while I was Pregnant with Him..of course, I prob would have just quit altogether, then..cause if I lasted a full-term Pregnancy without smoking, I could last the rest of my Life without 'em. Thankfully though, I quit before my first pregnancy.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 9:47 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I'm sorry, but I do. Even if you don't smoke around your baby, I read about a study that showed babies still inhale the smoke off of your clothes when you hold them.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 1:18 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I think as much as I'd like to say I don't, a part of me does. I feel like parents shouldn't make conscious decisions that can shorten their lives. My parents are in their early 60s and I cannot imagine my life without them. I feel like even though I'm a grown woman, living on the other side of the country, I still depend on my parents. I feel the same way about binge drinking, drugs, not wearing seatbelts, etc. I wouldn't want to ever leave my daughter before I had to because I know how much I need my parents. I used to smoke, btw and I'm really glad I quit. I also think it comes down to being a good influence for your children.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:25 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I'm not one to judge because I am no perfect mother, but I do feel pain for the children. Even if you do not smoke in the home or car, they are still affected by it. The chemicals remain on your clothes, hands, and lips. Plus it influences their life. They will be more likely to take up smoking and that is not healthy for them at all. It saddens me to know that some women can't quit the habit for not only their health, but that they won't even for their children's.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 1:25 AM on Dec. 13, 2010