I just found out my son is Autism and im trying the Gluten free diet and i read that they can't have milk but they can have rice milk . He has been on soy milk since he was born some people say that ok and some say no . Does any one out there have a kid with autism and drinks soy ?

Ldybutterfly

Asked by Ldybutterfly at 2:36 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Food & Drink

• My son hasn't been dx's yet, but we're pretty sure he has Aspergers. I've been reading alot on the net, & one of the diets we've tried is a low oxalate diet. Mostly, we've cut out chocolate & that seems to be helping. Anyway, on the low oxalate diet, one of the bad things to avoid is SOY. Just an idea.
    3IsEnoughForMe

Answer by 3IsEnoughForMe at 4:34 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Are you avoiding casein too and that's why you're avoiding milk?

Some children with neurobiological conditions such as autism have as much of a problem with soy as they do with casein and gluten; each child is different.
    Anonymous

• I work with Autistic children. Most parents I know do not use soy, they use unpasteurized milk which depending on where you live can be very difficult to find and very costly.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 10:02 PM on Nov. 7, 2008