My husband does not give me permission to travel, what to do?

I wanted to travel abroad, but my husband refuses to sign the travel form permission. Asked him, begged him, tried very hard, but he simply does not, stating he does not want us to travel abroad this time... only in summer...(if at all..)

Is divorce the only solution...?

ganna04

Asked by ganna04 at 2:59 AM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• I think it depends on why you feel the need to travel and why he doesn't agree. Also if you are bringing your children with you. If you want to go by yourself, then go...how can he stop you. If you want to take the kids, he has the right to say no.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:03 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Yes, with my daughter... for two weeks to her grand parents...at the time he travels too...
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 3:04 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Why divorce? He asked for the divorce before, but only if I myself going to hire a lawyer and pay all the expenses... I suggested him to hire a lawyer, but he just refused my travel now...
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 3:13 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• It sounds like it might be worth the expense of the divorce, if this is a pattern, and you guys have already discussed it. You don't have to have an attorney, if you guys can come to an agreement. You can also use a paralegal or document service. There are free services with the family court (call them- the same place where you go to file your divorce) and ask them about the free legal services.
    I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. I hope things smooth out with time.
    Also, even after a divorce (ESPECIALLY after a divorce), you need his permission to take your daughter out of the country. Does your daughter have a passport already? You might be able to take her if you already have one.
    Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:22 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Where do you guys live?
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 3:23 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• He does not want her out of country whether with divorce or without... I don't know what he wants...i don't want to start the divorce... i don't even think it is right for the 6 years old to go through divorce. We live in US.
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 3:26 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I would think since you guys are still married that you wouldn't need his permission. Especially if you already have a passport. Have you thought about just buying the tickets and trying to go? I'd buy them with cash and see if a friend can't hang on to them until you leave for the airport. However I've never even been on a plane so I don't know what you would have to do. Do you honestly need his sig or is it just easier?
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 3:50 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• My lawyer told that I need his permission and I can be in trouble if they ask for one...
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 4:01 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• The only way you'd get in trouble is if your husband filed for divorce and custody while you were away, and say you kidnapped your child. I had a similar situation when I wanted to take my daughter to visit my family. Would he really go so far as to have you go jailed for kidnapping simply because he didn't want you to go? Why does he not want your child travelling out of the country? Maybe it's something you can sit down and discuss?
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 4:19 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Not sure how'd he even know or why he has power to say so?

You're an adult. An adult can't tell another adult what they can/can't do.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 4:44 AM on Dec. 13, 2010