Thinking about having a natural birth. Bad idea?

emeraldangel20

Asked by emeraldangel20 at 3:20 AM on Dec. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• GREAT idea! I hope it works out for you!
    Arm yourself with as much information about natural labor as possible. There are tons of books out there. My favorite so far is "Birthing From Within" by Pam England. Hire a doula, too. They really increase your chances of keeping things natural, and actually reduce your chances of having a c-section.
    Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:23 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• thank you. i've heard so many horror stories about epidurals, and how they sometimes leak. i dont want that, so i think natural is the way to go.
    emeraldangel20

Comment by emeraldangel20 (original poster) at 3:26 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Epidurals also don't make all the pain go away, most of the time, and then you don't have the natural endorphin high that naturally laboring moms get, so when the pain breaks through, you're kind of screwed. I had planned on a natural birth, but DS had other ideas (lots of interventions- my own horror story I won't freak you out with), and my epidural offered initial relief (enough to get a short nap), but I was having PLENTY of pain by the end, AND I was stuck in bed, in one position.
    There are SO many benefits to going naturally, especially if you plan to breastfeed.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:29 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• i had one but it was only because i barely made it to the hospital. it was so hard. but I was so proud of myself. i felt like super woman. I was way better off than I was after I had my first son. I would want to go that way again however being true i dont know if I could unless i was forced to like this time. because I was begging for some meds
    Sky_Mom

Answer by Sky_Mom at 3:29 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I have had one completely natural, no intervention childbirth. It was wonderful. The other two births were induced, one with cervidil and one with pitocin and with one I had a shot of a pain med.

I have no regrets for refusing the epidural. It as the best decision I have ever made. Like musicpisces says, start reading and educating yourself now. The better informed and prepared you are the easier your labor will be.

Good luck!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:31 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• my mom says i'll be begging for it, because i dont have a high pain tolerance, but what i'm thinking is, birthing is supposed to be painful. and as long as i keep thinking about the baby, maybe i'll keep my mind on him or her (tho i really want a son) and the pain wont matter to me
    emeraldangel20

Comment by emeraldangel20 (original poster) at 3:32 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• My mom and sister said the same thing. I proved them and the rude L&D nurse wrong :D

With my second baby I had pitocin, a lot of it. The nurse kept coming in and pushing and epidural. I finally told her to stick it, that I didn't want one and she had better not ask again.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:34 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Yes, it is painful for most women (somehow, not all!), but remember that it's pain that is intermittent (meaning it comes and goes), and it's PAIN WITH A PURPOSE. Women experience that pain biologically as a signal that Baby is coming and it's time to get somewhere SAFE. Biology has two ways of alerting us to something serious- pain and nausea, and laboring women often experience both.
    Support and education are the best ways to get what you want. Tell your mom you need her support, and that there is to be NO MENTION of drugs while you are in labor. Otherwise, she's welcome to LEAVE.
    Keep your focus on getting through the pain and on the wonderful prize at the end! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:37 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Why would it be a bad idea?! I had a natural birth and it was great! I can't imagine going through labor and delivery drugged at all. It hurt, yes, but I was so calm and relaxed because I could feel exactly what was happening and I had full control over pushing and everything. No one can tell you how to give birth, though. If you want a natural birth, go into the experience telling yourself that you can do it and your body knows exactly what to do, etc., and you'll be just fine, even if you do get an epidural or something, you'll be calmer and more confident. Attitude is EVERYTHING with labor and delivery.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:54 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Not a bad idea at all .... I would have loved a natural birth and planned for one but in the end everything went south with an abrupted placenta, 54 heart beat on my baby and an umbilical cord wrapped around her neck. Ended up with an emergency C-section for which I was totally knocked out for.

Yes plan and educate yourself as much as possible for a natural birth but also plan for the unexpected because when you dont it makes you feel like hell. I had terrible guilt and anxiety attacks because I thought I had failed my little girl. How wrong could I have been.

On the pain side there are some wonderful exercises that you can do to prepare yourself for the pain and to get you through the pain as well. Those breathing exercises REALLY do work.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 4:02 AM on Dec. 13, 2010