RE: Food suggestions for my underweight Toddler.

I need suggestion on food I can make for my underweight toddler. We've heard of avocados but how did you give it to your toddler? anything else I can give him? I tried giving him yams but they went straight through him, he pooped them out within 30 mins.

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 3:27 AM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just cut them into slices.
    Cheese is good, too. Healthy, lean proteins and whole grains are always best. Pretty much anything he will eat is a good idea (just don't start him on junk foods, of course).
    Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:30 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I just slice an avocado up and dice it. My DD LOVES it.

Yams/sweet potatoes are not recommended to help gain weight. They're actually recommended as a weight loss tool, as they're extremely high in fiber.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:42 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• What you can do is "power pack" his food. What that means is to put as many calories into it as possible. You give him a sandwich? Make sure it has extra peanut butter or extra cheese. You give him pancakes put some fruit into the batter. Give him more milk. Dipping sauce for his veggies. If he's eating something you add something else to his plate or in his food. And snacks. Make sure he's getting at least 2 on top of the 3 meals. More if you can get him to eat it.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 4:13 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I was always skinny skinny, and my mom used to make me milk shakes for breakfast with a raw egg in it (you wouldn't do that now - this was in the 70's) but you could substitute protein powder for extra calories. Just make sure you get the kind that is just protein - no added vitamins.

My mom also used to make these yummy peanut butter honey balls w/ powdered milk. My father in law had stomach cancer 10 years ago & I used to make them for him, because everything he ate had to be calorie/protein packed. I loved them as a kid & if your son has no nut allergies, I highly recommend them. Here's a recipe link:
    http://www.grouprecipes.com/21107/honey-peanut-butter-balls.html
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 6:44 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Ovaltine in milk with meals. It has a lot of vitamins and the milk is good for him too. Peanut butter on a spoon so he can eat it like a lolly pop. Whole wheat bread or Italian rolls with butter or melted american cheese on it.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:45 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Spread an avocado on bread or toast or crackers. My three year old girls love it. Apple sauce is a big favorite, cheese, peanut butter on crackers, casa dia. (tortilla with cheese melted on it) with a few pieces of chicken in there.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:03 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• You can also add olive oil or flax seed oil to their drinks or on their breads or in pasta's or soups and stuff. We had to use that for our son since he has a milk protein issue.
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 12:50 PM on Dec. 13, 2010