Step Adoption

My husband has started the process of adopting my 5 year old twin daughters. They have no birth father on their birth certificate, they have no contact with him, he pays no child support either. My husband has been a part of the twins' lives since I was pregnant with them, so we hope its a straightforward quick process.

I live in England, so i am aware that there will be differences but im still curious, and wondering if any of you have been through it....and what your experiences of it were? How long did it take?

Thanks! :)

little.knickers

Asked by little.knickers at 4:40 AM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Adoption

• Well, I have 3 adopted cousins.... the only thing that took long in that proccess was waiting for them to be born. :) ha ha. I don't think you will have ANY trouble! How luck you are to have twins and a loving husband! I'm going to cry!! Dang pregnancy hormones. :) I'm sure the proccess is different in England. I coudln't forsee it taking more than a few months.
    poweredbycarma

Answer by poweredbycarma at 5:05 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Thank you poweredbycarma! Im guardian to my 4 brothers and sisters too as our parents have passed away. 2 of those are 'only' step-siblings of no blood relation and in the next few months we will be starting the process of adopting them too, that is what they want anyway!

and preggo hormones...ahh im pregnant too and a complete mess these days! Cry at the drop of a hat, don't remember being this bad in my last pregnancies!
    little.knickers

Comment by little.knickers (original poster) at 5:35 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I HAVE ADOPTED MY SON LAST YEAR AND I LOVE HIM LIKE MY OWN,IM VERY GREATFUL FOR HIM I'M BLESSED
    PASEKA

Answer by PASEKA at 5:35 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• My husband adopted my son and I adopted his son. It was about 4 months for my bio-son adoption and it was 8 months for my husband's son adoption.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:06 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• My dh just finished up an adopttion for my Daughter who is 8 years old.. she loves it! i love it! he loves it! it was pretty easy.. i live in Michigan and it is pretty much cute and dry.. we went to the family courts told them what we wanted to do and they gave us a step by step guide on how to get what we wanted.. it took about three months!blowing bubbles

MommyOfMiaLynn

Answer by MommyOfMiaLynn at 7:05 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I have no answer because ours hasn't happened yet but my three year old will be adopted by my husband hopefully next year...so I'll give you an "I'm there too!" bump!
    HeartsCombined

Answer by HeartsCombined at 12:10 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• My mom and ex-step father adopted 2 boys (his nephews) from Ghana. It took a few months and I suspect a bit of bribing of officals to move paperwork along. But eventually we were all united (even though the happieness was brife).
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 12:43 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I do not have an answer to for you but I just want to send you love and good luck in this process.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 4:03 PM on Dec. 28, 2010