Mother of God?

What does that mean exactly?

I heard people say it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:55 AM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I guess it would depend on the person. The belief in a "Mother of God" predates current religious beliefs and refers to the Mother Goddess. However, when Christianity came to be more popular many of the new converts wished for a similar "Goddess" figure and Mary became the "Mother of God" because they saw Jesus as God.

I've also heard it as a "slang" thing, rather than a religious thing... But that's just slang, there isn't really any meaning.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:37 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Usually, when I hear it, its in reference to the Virgin Mary, as she is the mother of Jesus and many believe Jesus to BE God incarnate... But others could use it differently, I guess - that's just the one way I've heard it. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:14 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• When you believe in the Triune God as most Christians do Christ is part of the God Head. He was there in the beginning and will be there in the end. Jesus is both divine and human. his humanity comes from Mary. His divinity always was, is will be. So from His human part She is his Mother, thus the Mother of God.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 10:19 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• That goes way back for the early Christians and Catholics still today believe that She is a powerful intercessor. ( her prayers for us to God) So when that is said whether you want her to or not, in that content she will say a prayer for you.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 10:31 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• In gnostic traditions the virgin Mary was the incarnation of the divine feminine--called Sophia, meaning "wisdom", by them. The goddess was preparing to fulfil her role as the mother of god's son. It is said by catholics that Mary was an immaculate conception--born to a mother who had long passed her child-bearing years. Born pure. And if Jesus is the son of god and a part of god, then she is the mother of god.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:14 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• i think it means that some people believe that Jesus is God and not His son, so they're referring to Mary the mother of Jesus. I grew up hearing that Jesus is the son of God so that statement never made sense to me.
    KateMc

Answer by KateMc at 9:06 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• i've only heard people say it when they get scared or frustrated (as an explanation)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:20 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• well that would be just a statement because god is a spirit but jesus his son has mary as a mother.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 10:49 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I think they are asking for protection from what ever gave them a start through Mary. The holiest of holy.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:55 AM on Dec. 13, 2010