Do you give snarky answers in real life or just at CM?

I know, I know...I'm totally setting myself up here, but I keep seeing these snarky, not helpful answers to questions that people looking for help have asked in all seriousness.

I don't understand the need to say something mean or just kind of thoughtless to someone who is confused or in pain.

snark·y/ˈsnärkē/ Adjective: (of a person, words, or a mood) Critical; cutting; testy.

sweetpotato418

Asked by sweetpotato418 at 7:42 AM on Dec. 13, 2010 in About CafeMom

• I am somewhat rude or snarky in RL too, but although I may give a few smartass answers, I generally just speak my mind in the exact way I would speak it to a friend.

What bothers me is the women who won't step off of their high horse, and just rip the crap out of anything you say. I know fully well that if I met one of these women in a super market check out line and was chatting with them about my personal issues, none of them would give me the shitty responses they have the balls to type out from the security of their own home. People become more judgmental sitting behind a keyboard.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 8:40 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I myself never aim to be rude in real life or here on CM.
    So, for me I guess the answer is how you perceive me here is how I am in real life.
    I don't like snarky people either...just ridiculous and mean to be rude to people.
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 7:46 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I actually came here because I got sick of this at another site. I try not to be mean or snarky because I hate that.
    MotherAndMore

Answer by MotherAndMore at 8:19 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I try to put myself in their shoes. I don't see the purpose in leaving a snarky remark.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 7:51 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I am pretty snarky in real life too and I know it gets on peoples nerves But I seriously cant help it! I have serious word vomit!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:55 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I'm positive given the anonymous and relative safe nature of the net, that people are much more likely to be brutally honest and less polite online, because, well they can and nothing's going to happen to them.

In real life you got the person right there and we always tend to use better manners in face-to-face encounters, esp with strangers cuz we don't really know what we're dealing with and/or don't want a real life conflict.

Online conflicts mean next to nothing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:44 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Snarky in real life but only with my DH. :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 8:08 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I can be snarky online and IRL. Not often, though. Usually, if I don't have anything nice to say...you know the rest.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 3:01 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

Online conflicts mean next to nothing.

Good answer - I voted it up! I actually worry for some people who are clearly really hurting & to whom the on line conflict might be really painful. I know a lot of people are going to say that's the nature of posting on the web, but ....
    sweetpotato418

Comment by sweetpotato418 (original poster) at 7:48 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I do not know the word snarky.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:07 AM on Dec. 13, 2010