• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

online college

Have any of you tried ashworth or Penn Foster? If so were you pleased in the end?


Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 AM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • Accredited means approved by the Government and at the minimum you want a school that is accredited. But accredited doesn't mean approved by the people. So call around and see if credits can be transferred from either of those colleges to some local Universities. Then call some businesses that might be interested in hiring you after you have your degree and see if they would accept such and such degree from either of those colleges.

    Also check out the local Universities and community colleges and see if they already have online programs in your area. Most do. And most of them are a forth the cost as the online schools. If you're going to spend tens of thousands of dollars on your degree do your research first.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:16 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

  • Look to see if they are accredited and if their credits will transfer to any college. Most online colleges are for profit, not accredited, and their credits will not transfer to another college.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:57 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

  • I have never heard of either. Be careful with this. Online colleges do not give the same level of education as a regular college nor do they have as good a reputation.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 11:54 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

  • junky, most dont recognize their certificates. Try a state college online, thats better.

    Answer by IraqiVetWife at 6:40 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

  • Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

    Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

    Answer by rkoloms at 9:44 PM on Dec. 15, 2010