Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

My husband thinks that he is a woman trapped in a man's body. What to do?

My husband told me a couple of weeks ago that he thinks that he is a woman trapped in a mans body and has since childhood. I have been very understanding about this but our children are going up to their dad's for a week and he wants to try be a woman to see how he feels about it. This weird's me out greatly, but I can't tell him that because I told him I would support whatever he chose. How do I deal with this without going back on my word?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (7)
  • maybe he's just saying he's in touch with his feminine side or that he related better with women than men. I know alot of men have trouble fitting into the mold society expects them to be in. Not every man likes sports, cars and tools, etc. Therapy might help. Good luck,

    Answer by Zoeyis at 8:19 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

  • That is how transgenders feel, it is an awful traumatizing way to go through life, be supportive.

    Answer by older at 8:19 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

  • Support him, this is a very hard thing to go through I would imagine. As for your children, how old are they? If they are old enough to except this info about their dad, fine, but if very young I'd give it awhile.


    Answer by zbee at 8:39 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

  • You need to take care of YOU. If he wants that sort of life, there is no room for you and your children in it. You can only be but so supportive. How are you supposed to live the rest of your life like that??? You cant. I would tell him to move out and figure that crap out on his own.

    Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 8:41 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

  • Give the kids a heads up. That will be less of a shock to them so they won't offend him. This has to be hard on you. Are you still a couple or are you just friends? Good luck.

    Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 9:12 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

  • You have a right to change your mind about supporting him once you process the entire matter. If he doesn't like it then too bad.

    Answer by admckenzie at 9:43 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

  • You have to decide whether you can really go through with supporting him. If you commit to it see it through all the way. If your children are old enough to discuss it with, discuss it with them and see how they feel, if they're willing or able to commit to supporting him as well. If they're not willing its not fair to force them, though you can still support him if you wish. Communicate with him. Its okay to let him know how you feel - you can support each other.

    If you decide you can't support him - which is fine, if its something you really can't do - you need to tell him, because its not fair to either of you if you really aren't okay with this. Only you can be sure, though, and I can understand how hard it can be to be sure of how you feel. That's why really thinking about it - and probably talking with him or someone you trust about it - is so important.

    Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:08 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.