Bday food?!

Im guestimating about 20 people for my sons bday, mostly because no one has RSVPd, but any who, what kind of food is cost effective? The party is from about 3-4:30....Im trying to keep it under 50...Im making a punch thats only like 5 bucks to make....and little cesars makes large pizzas for $5 each. I dont know if I should do pizza, or fruit and veg trays and wings?! IDK any ideas?!

sweetstkissez22

Asked by sweetstkissez22 at 9:04 AM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I always do my parties at 2pm so people know I'm not feeding them a meal. Last party we had several coolers out with bottled water and juices for the kids. On the table we had chips and dip, meat & cheese platter, and a veggie w/dip. I cut up my own cheese block which saved me money on the pre-made platter. I think I spent like $40 total at Wal-mart.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 9:13 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I think your plan is good. I assume you're having mostly adults. Fruit is pretty expensive right now. Carrots and celery sticks would be fine along with the pizza. Maybe some finger sandwiches.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:13 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I did Chili for my son's birthday, and we made corn bread with chips it was great!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 2:00 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I would do fruit and vegies. 1 and 2 year olds won't want wings and pizza is too messie. Of course there will be cupcakes. The time is not lunch and not dinner so alot is not necessary.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:07 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I agree with Orionsgirl. You do not have to provide a meal at the time you picked. Just some appetizers as she suggested and drinks. Have fun!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:17 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Great, Thanks ladies!! Im so excited, first time Ive had people over to this new house!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Comment by sweetstkissez22 (original poster) at 9:24 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I would stick with the pizza. I think that would work better with the kids than fruit and veggie trays, probably cheaper too.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 10:52 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I would love wings. But Pizza is always right.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I agree with Orionsgirl. At that time of day and for that duration, you don't have to offer a meal. Just some appetizers - even chips, dips, veggie platter, sort of thing and a birthday cake is good.

We also tend to plan our parties too late or lunch and too early for dinner. ;) I also tend to write on the invite "Snacks and cake will be served" to erase any doubt that they can plan a meal.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:54 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I did my DS favorite fruits on a tray and a vegetable tray with sandwiches, the theme was puppies/dogs so I cookie cut the sandwich's in bones and dogs and chips and dips...... I think pizza would be fine too.......With some carrots, celery vege dip on the side with cake and cookies of course:)

Chas21

Answer by Chas21 at 10:34 PM on Dec. 13, 2010