My 8 month old son wont drink anything other than baby milk??

HELP!!! I cant get my son to drinnk anything other than baby milk, not water or baby juice nothing!

sammie1989

Asked by sammie1989 at 9:06 AM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he doesn't need to, his main source of nutrition should be formula or breastmilk
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:07 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Right now that's okay - he doesn't need to be drinking anything other than formula or breastmilk for at least a couple months.

Answer by missanc at 9:08 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• that's okay he dosen't have to drink other stuff lol my ds didn't like to drink anything else until he was almost one
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:08 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• achually at 8 months that is all they need. But my nephew was the same way my sister couldn't get him to drink anything. He was on formula until she he was 14 months old maybe 15 months old because he wouldn't drink anything else. Although he wouldn't even drink out of a sippy cup until he was 19 months old. What my sister had to do was warm up some milk in his bottle that was the only way he would even take regular milk and he wouldn't drink anything else. He finally started drinking other stuff at about 18 months old. He wont even drink milk now lol. But for a long time he wouldn't drink anything other than milk and had to be warm so it made it hard when we were going someplace and had to take warm milk lol. He was so picky if you gave him formula it had to be very warm when he drank it so that was hard to if you were out somewhere it couldn't just be room temp it had to be warm or he wouldn't eat
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:11 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Thanks guys! So giving him a little milk to drink after his solid food is ok? My health visitor mentioned giving him water or juice and he wont even entertain the idea of any thing other than his milk.
    sammie1989

Comment by sammie1989 (original poster) at 9:14 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• My almost 13 month ONLY drinks breastmilk. I would say your health visitor doesn't really know what it best! WOW!

I will say, when he is ready to drink something else, only let him have water or milk. Later, when he is used to drinking the water and milk you could introduce juice as a special treat. But there is no need to!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:42 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• He'll drink something else when he's ready. Lots of people believe in pushing babies to do things they aren't ready for. As long as he is hydrated & not overweight, he's fine.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 9:47 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I'm pretty sure he shouldn't be drinking anything else until he's older. You're fine giving him milk after his solid foods, just remember that they have much smaller portions than we do, so he knows when he's full. I think as long as he's getting so many ounces of milk a day you can give him baby food the rest of the time - though I don't remember how many ounces that is... :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:54 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Thanks guys that's really helpful. :)
    sammie1989

Comment by sammie1989 (original poster) at 11:03 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Baby milk is his main food... all he *needs.* The solids are an extra, as is anything else. Smart kiddo you've got!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2010