What do you think?

Okay, so I am 21 and have been married for almost 3 years, we have two little girls and everything is pretty normal. Well, my parents do not care for my husband at all, never have and most likely never will. That has put a strain on my relationship with them of course.
Anyway, about 6 months ago my parents and I started talking again (after over a year of them not speaking to me), they still want nothing to do with my husband, and that is fine, we just don't bring it up. Well, last week they asked me and the girls to be in their Christmas card photo with them. I said that I did not feel very comfortable with that, because I did not want people to think I am a single mother, when I am not. Well, apparently they are really upset about it, and are now not speaking to me again... :( Am I just totally out of line here?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Dec. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• no, you are not out of line

why do they not accept him?
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:29 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I personally think that you are in the right!
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 9:29 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• No, you are right IMO. I don't think you and your children are appropriate in their card photo (even if your husband was there too). It should just be the two of them.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:29 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I would have told them if my DH can not be in the picture me and the kids wont either. If they want to be like that, they will not see their grand kids grow up.

If it was me, the next time they want to talk to you. I would tell them except my DH or no relationship with me and your grand kids.

Answer by louise2 at 9:32 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• You're not out of line at all. Your husband is a part of your family, he is the father of your children, and its not right that they expect you to willfully exclude him for them.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:37 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• No you were not out of line.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:39 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• You ar not out of line, they are. They can't make him disappear from your life, but that is what it sounds like they want to do. Sometime ask them if their parents ever interferred in their marriage. Tell them that your first duty is always to your husband, and you want a relationship with them also, but that they are making it difficult to continue this. Do they love your children? Tell them that these beautiful children were produced by him.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:31 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Thanks Ladies. There is def a long complicated history, and my dh and did somethings in the past that we are not proud of and I know it hurt my parents a lot. However that was all in the past and we have grown and are doing well for ourselves and our children. That being said I know will be difficult for them to ever accept him and accept the fact that I am an adult.
    I guess I was shocked by their reaction and started to second guess myself... Thanks!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:06 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• No, you are right. I, personally, refuse to let anyone be a part of my Life if they don't want to be part of my ENTIRE Life. Sucks, but that's unacceptable in my book. I had a "friend" who wanted nothing to do with my Husband but wanted to see me and my Son..I told her that she had no reason to not want to meet my Husband and if she didn't want to be part of EVERY part of my Life, she could just not be part of any of it. I don't regret that at all. Good luck.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 11:12 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• You are not wrong. You parents do not have to like your dh, but they should respect that he is your husband.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 13, 2010