Can you give pedialite to a 4 month old?

Could it possible help with constipation? If so how much to give?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• give the clear flavorless one to them and only 2 oz at a time
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 2:57 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• yes you can :)
    neverwrong8682

Answer by neverwrong8682 at 3:01 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• You can give clear and the flavored stuff. We have used it. I also agree with the 2 ozs at a time. Also you can give the baby some baby water. Just to keep the little one hydrated if she or he doesn't like pedialyte.
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 3:05 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• i was told by my kids doctor that water at that age is bad for their kidneys. I only daluted her formula a little and it made little crystal like things in her diapers.... maybe every child is differnt but the docs at the ER told me water is what did it
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 3:09 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• yes...you don't have to dilute it, but i found it helps. my LO needed it at that age too because he was getting over bronchitis and the z-pac they put him on gave him diarreah. you should only offer about 2 oz though so that it doesn't replace breastmilk or formula...whichever you use
    bamaunicorn

Answer by bamaunicorn at 3:37 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• the pedialyte may not help with the constipation...you might try 1oz of apple/pear juice diluted with 1oz of water. I know wic starts including this on your vouchers at 4months of age and it will usually get things moving for ya! :)
    bamaunicorn

Answer by bamaunicorn at 3:41 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• you can give it, but I don't think it will help with constipation at all.
    Are you sure your baby is constipated? Many people think beacuse the baby looks like they are pushing and getting all red it's constipation - and it's not.
    Constipation is hard poops. And you can give 1 oz pear juice and it should help.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:03 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Is your baby's tummy hard like a rock? Crying and acting gassy? I use Apple Juice with my daughter for constipation relief. It works fairly quickly. If your little one is truly constipated, you can take a rectal thermometer and put some Vaseline on it and put it in the baby's butt. The Vaseline will help soften and get things moving. If you feel your little one gets constipated a lot, you may need to look at changing formulas. I guess not sure if you nurse or not. And I am assuming based off of other comments. Sometimes pedialyte can cause diarrhea, not always though. Hope this helps.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 10:30 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• i used pedialite when my daughter was 2mths old because she kept puking and wasn't feeling well...just to make sure she kept hydrated and i only would give her a few oz at every feeding. during summer i would give it to her a couple times a week to make sure she kept hydrated plus it was something to give her till i started her on juice..but i know juice will help as well..i've never diluted my daughter's pedialite OR juice...
    anabelsmommy08

Answer by anabelsmommy08 at 8:41 PM on Nov. 8, 2008